Trumpsters seek out Rocket Man, only to be confused or enraged by a pro-refugee video

Really great video– loved the animation. Things like this are perfect for the hand-drawn approach.

That made me more gay then I thought I could be.

Thank you.

‘-------’

Great emotive video.

2 Likes

Actually, Elton John commissioned new videos for 3 songs from the 70s. The other two:

I really like the Tiny Dancer one… it’s like LA without the traffic.

1 Like

About ten years back there was a fantastic BBC show called Life on Mars and in an episode one of the characters really laid it all out that the song was about immigration. The analysis was so clear and internally consistent that it was hard to see the song as about anything else.

2 Likes

i didn’t think anyone but me knew about Sénégal Fast Food. Well not really, but no one I personally know is familiar with it. Brilliant song even tough I can’t make out all the words. Thanks for the link.

Not sure if this counts as on topic or not. Six months ago I’m quite sure I could have watched the Rocket Man video unmoved. But last month my world was turned upside down and now it made me cry.

Not really sure what I’m trying to say. Perhaps only that one’s personal experience makes a big difference to how a story, a video, or a song hits you.

3 Likes

This song will still be great long after these people have nothing to look forward to.

1 Like

Candle in the wind is still too much to me, but try listening to something of his that never gets played in the grocery store like any of the songs from Empty Sky. There really is just something about his playing and voice combined with those classically obtuse, odd, and sometimes very awkward lyrics. I used to feel the same way about him: cheesy camp artist with a good voice and good skill but kind of shallow. Then after a while I realized either I’m really shallow too or some of these songs are really really amazing and maybe I haven’t shown Elton John enough respect because in the era I was exploring music he was considered more passe.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.