Video of Elton John's otherworldly performance of "Rocket Man" last night that may have been his last

Originally published at: Video of Elton John's otherworldly performance of "Rocket Man" last night that may have been his last | Boing Boing

5 Likes

A 76-year-old Elton did a three-hour set. (And here I am, nowhere near 76, having a hard time sitting at a desk for 3 hours straight.) Well done, Elton, you deserve a rest!

25 Likes

He’s certainly a broad catalogue of bangers to draw from across his career.

11 Likes

hear hear, and cheers to Sir Elton. i saw him play a few years ago in NY and it was quite wonderful.

9 Likes

I too got to see him but back in 1994 during the Elton John/Billy Joel PianoMan tour.

I was there as a security guard checking tickets for people going to floor seats. Think I may have ignored much of what I was supposed to be doing as I enjoyed the hell out of being paid to be there and see the concert at the same time :smiley:

7 Likes

He still sounds amazing. Everything we’re seeing coming out of Glastonbury this year is phenomenal, what a concert.

1 Like

that was SO good it brought tears to my eyes. he’s such a pro and he’s got such great equipment that when we saw him in the round in the 90s he was able to turn our shitty indoor sports arena into something that sounded so perfect that it was a magical experience. i will never understand how he’s able to play like he does with those little fingers of his. he’s a wizard.

4 Likes

The BBC were a bit harsh.

10 Likes

Well -fuck them.

3 Likes

“Crocodile Rock” made me a fan back in the 70s.

1 Like

Waaay back when that Elton John tribute album came out - “Two Rooms” - I suddenly realized he didn’t just write good songs; he wrote songs that sounded great from a wide variety of musicians.

At the time, a friend said “Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting) is the best Who song that The Who never wrote.”

8 Likes

Almost as good as the original:

5 Likes

Two standouts:
Sinéad O Connor - Sacrifice - YouTube

Kate Bush - Rocket Man - Official Music Video - YouTube

4 Likes

Hah! I enjoyed that until the smoke made me cough.

4 Likes

perhaps there is a twist? I bet he’s got such a supple wrist.

4 Likes

How do you think he does it?

4 Likes

I don’t know. Do you know what makes him so good?

6 Likes

he ain’t got no distractions, i know that much.

6 Likes

It’s better in the original Klingon.

4 Likes

He’s actually playing two shows in Sweden after this, which are said to be his last. He’s amended his statement, the Glastonbury show was his last show in Britain.

2 Likes