Tucker Carlson is now considered a "co-host" on Russian State TV

Just one? He came all the way here to Hungary to shill for Orbán (I assume he was paid handsomely, though). Then again, Orbán is not quite the despot Putin is, at least not yet, although if he wins the elections in April he’ll be on the track to become one… he’s already Putin’s best disciple as it is.

(Orbán’s circles, which is to say the Hungarian governing party, have pretty strong ties to the American far-right… the likes of Trump, Trucker etc, but also Focus on the Family, etc.)

12 Likes

The thing I keep coming back to is that Borat got Rudy Giuliani with his hands down in his pants in a room with a young girl, on video. For lolz.

Do you think the Russian intel services, who have near infinite time and resources to throw at this problem, would do worse?

11 Likes

You make a good point. He’s not averse to shilling for aspiring autocrats, including Orban and the orange grifter.

7 Likes
5 Likes

He used to be able to rock a bowtie, dude is falling apart.

4 Likes

He’s what they call a “soft target”. :rofl:

2 Likes

In two separate packages.

6 Likes

5 Likes

This is what really twists my piss-off button. If any left leaning individual were so openly treasonous as Carlson is on any type of media their life would be forfeit. The right-wingers would chase them down and kill them just as putin does to anyone who even slightly provokes him. Yet carlson seems free to come and go anywhere he wants in american society with complete impunity. I suspect his home address would be easy enough to find and he apparently goes to his studio or stable on a regular basis where he feels safe to attack american democracy and values on a regular basis. That alone is a statement of values between the two factions. Carlson counts on the basic human decency of left leaning and progressive people. He seems to feel sure it’s safe for him to use constitutional guarantees to verbally attack those very same values and get by with it. The right would fly into a murderous rage against anyone who drags out the truth about their fascist wet dreams. Absolutely insane.

11 Likes

That’s what Fox does?

If it were what Fox did, and that was the problem, would they stop voluntarily?

Or do reforms have to be imposed from outside?

3 Likes

Yes, outside reform is needed. Is a return of the Fairness Doctrine the only possible outside reform?

ETA: my only comment here was that I expect that the fairness doctrine would be horribly, horribly gamed by bad actors.

ETA2: I’d appreciate not being treated as one of the bad actors. The rest of my post, which you conveniently excised, highlights how other outlets not necessarily acting in bad faith have given Fox a figleaf for the bullshit they pull

2 Likes

Malign neglect has done so much damage over the last 40 years that I’m far more worried about regulators continuing to do too little than about the tiny risk they might do too much

3 Likes

I never said it was too much - I suggested it was the wrong action

If someone is yelling Fire! in a theater, the answer isn’t to mandate that someone else yells Water!

5 Likes

I think that it will take more than just a return to the fairness doctrine. Part of the reason it collapsed was cable TV - the regulation was based on use of the public airwaves and ensuring that the public’s property was used for the public good. Cable (and internet) would be difficult to bring under that (unless we, as we should really do, moved internet access to being public utilities rather than private for profit companies). Then we also have the issue of supreme court rulings saying that corporations enjoy free speech rights specifically including the right the lie. It’s a real problem that I don’t know how we address - expand and actually enforce hate speech laws against corps? I don’t know.

5 Likes

WTAF is he doing with his face in that preview!?!

5 Likes

Well look, Tucker’s just zis guy, ya know?

7 Likes

During the New Deal, the basis for considering electronic communications obviously and naturally subject to FCC jurisdiction was not whether they were wired or wireless, but whether they crossed state lines

8 Likes

When it comes to Fox and Tuckah my TV has a magic button to make them STFU and dry-up-and-blow-away: THE OFF BUTTON.

I encourage all to find this button and press frequently.

Swanson frozen nuggets, to go?

3 Likes

Good luck with that.

Hear tell the Mendacious Wigged One has the most popular cable news-type show.

4 Likes