Turkey attacks Syria, UN Security Council to meet in northern Syria on Thursday

Works pretty well for bi-valves :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t be silly, of course that headline is satire. Donald Trump would never stand for strangling GOP lawmakers’ loved ones.

Don’t forget he had bone spurs; he couldn’t stand that long. He’d hire someone else to do it, then stiff them on the fee because they did “not a good job.”

4 Likes

3 Likes

I guess the Kurds were being too much of an ally.

Kurds, YOU’RE FIRED!

Now lets see how many other allies we have to piss off before they all start saying “F-it, can’t trust them any more. Time to find another large superpower to cozy up to.”

Oh, and I bet ISIS is saying to each other, “Shhh, just wait until Turkey takes most of them out, then we get to go North again. The US will probably be gone by then too, and we’ll own this place”.

3 Likes

Shit even part of Fox and Friends is like “WTF??!!” with this move.

3 Likes

I’d also argue, though, that although it’s about the Ottoman empire revivalism to some extent, that’s also a distortion of the historical reality of the empire. Erdogan has brought in a very strong Turkish nationalist strain that really did not exist for the vast majority of the history of the Ottoman period - primarily because the empire itself was multi-confessional and multi-ethnic, with the Turkish people not even making up a majority of the empire after the conquests of the Balkans and then the Middle East. Yes, the Sultan was Turkish, but the bureaucracy of the empire and it’s most elite fighting force was deeply multi-ethnic and that remained a key aspect of the empire into the modern age. It was very much Attaturk who brought in a nationalist Turkish bent to very late ottoman politics and shaped the Republic of Turkey along those lines.

So, it’s not only a distortion of Turkey’s secular past, but of the nature of Ottoman Empire…

No, but the goal, I think, is to expand regionally, to keep his party in power as long as possible, and playing off a distortion of the past helps in that regard. You can see the same thing with Putin in Russia and his rehabilitation of Stalin.

11 Likes

I’m not quite clear on how he can ‘distance himself’ from something he directly caused, after being warned repeatedly not to, and being told that this is what would happen.

But he somehow has the ability to do so just by yelling a lot and pointing.

11 Likes

Physically running? Using his unmatched wisdom to destroy the Turkish economy… again?

4 Likes

PSA:
No disrespect to any of the multiple posters who spelled it wrong, but “Atatürk” (and “Atatürkism”) only has one “t” in “Ata”.

7 Likes

Oh! You’re right! Thanks!

3 Likes

Honestly, I think we passed that point already. There just aren’t any other superpowers to cozy up to.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Currently in Rojava.

They fought against ISIS, and they will do the same with Turkey.

5 Likes

Thread:

11 Likes

Maybe ISIS will attack the Trump Towers Istanbul.

2 Likes

Why would they attack an ally? Trump has done ISIS a huge favour. Rojava has had to move most of their armed forces to the Turkish border in response to this threat.

2 Likes

I’ve not heard a single fucking word on the media I generally listen to about Rojava… tells me their actual priorities.

6 Likes

This.

Trump has no allies, only customers, and right now his customer is ISIS via Erdogan, with the Kurds paying up in blood.

3 Likes

Certain people: well, we didn’t think they’d actually do it! Not, like, right away.

Armenia: We could’ve told you that.

5 Likes

Turkey have been building up to this ever since Trump suggested pulling the troops out last year.

4 Likes