Turkey attacks Syria, UN Security Council to meet in northern Syria on Thursday

There is a map of what is happening in Syria here.

It has supposedly got some dodgy ads on there too, but I use the usual adblocks and jsblockers so I didn’t see them.

3 Likes

Yet another piece of evidence that Trump’s brains are leaking out of his ears. The man’s attached to reality by the most tenuous of threads, if even that.

1 Like

Eh? I can think of two that are getting there.

1 Like

“To cozy up to” is the important qualifier there. (For the countries that haven’t already decided that China’s values, for example, are compatible with their own and have already cozied, that is.)

1 Like
2 Likes

Am I mistaken, or didn’t Trump at one point say that Obama created ISIS? In which case, shouldn’t someone point out that he’s helping Obama?

Not that I expect any kind of consistency to Trump’s actions beyond, “It’s what I want to do.”

1 Like

He certainly did. He kept saying in rallies that “Obama’s the founder of ISIS”, and when a conservative radio show host asked him about it and said that he assumed Trump meant that figuratively, he said “No, I meant he’s the founder of ISIS” and explained that he believes that Obama literally founded them.

6 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

I am worried now, Assad has been worse than the USA have been to the Kurds in the past, But is there an alternative?

As the Kurds say, “We have no friends but the mountains.”

Edit: removed misleading ‘not’

3 Likes

In the short term, there might be less conflict than you expect between the Government forces and the Kurds.

Ever since the outbreak of the conflict, these two particular sides have not been shooting at one another. There have been Government enclaves within Kurdish areas (air bases and border crossings in the north-east) and vice versa ( most notably, the Kurdish quarter of Aleppo). Also, the two are already actively collaborating in Afrin, to combine their forces against the Turkish-jihadi invasion there.

The real problem comes when the conflict is over. Up until now, the best hope for the Kurdish areas was a political settlement that rewarded and recognised their self-liberation, the fight against Daesh and their efforts to save the Yazidis from genocide with some form of autonomy within Syria. If the facts on the ground are less favourable to them, then the path to a good outcome gets narrower.

2 Likes