Turkey cat funeral explained

I think I hear something in the background . . .

Ding, Dong the cat is dead (gobble gobble)
Which old cat? (gobble gobble)
The wicked cat. (gobble gobble)

7 Likes

Unfortunately, no one can explain why he held the camera in portrait mode and then did a pan and scan to get the whole circle in view. I feel like I just rented a VHS tape in the 1980’s.

9 Likes

OK, we know why they are circling the cat.
Next question is why they are going clockwise. Do the turkeys in Australia circle cats anti-clockwise?

5 Likes

13 Likes

Yup, we just don’t recognise it yet. Seven trumpets? Nah… a bunch of turkeys circling a dead cat. On the plus side, no more fucking portrait youtube videos.

1 Like

The next car driving down that street does it for them.

4 Likes

Reminds me of the story Runaround in I, Robot where a robot is simultaneously trying to obey two of its laws which are in conflict with each other. It is sent to retrieve selenium from a pool on Mercury, an order which could be destructive to the robot. In attempting to obey the Second Law, that it must follow its orders, and the Third Law, that it must preserve its existence, simultaneously, it ends up running in a wide circle around the pool for hours caught in a loop.

7 Likes

Bonus points if it’s a food truck.

7 Likes

I always wondered about that story because I never understood why Law #2 didn’t supersede Law #3 and force Speedy to follow orders. I had to read up on it more to understand they strengthened Law 3 in Speedy’s case.

So here’s the answer to the mystery: Speedy is acting drunk because he can’t figure out which law to follow. Speedy is an expensive robot, so the Third Law was strengthened—and there’s some dangerous gas near the selenium pool. And when Speedy was ordered to get selenium, the order was casual. So Speedy is caught between a weak Second Law (his order) and a strong Third Law (his self-preservation). So Speedy can’t go forward to get the selenium (Third Law) and he can’t go away because he was ordered to get the selenium (Second Law)—so he just goes around and around in a circle.

Cool note: That story was set in year 2015 - so we should’ve landed on Mercury by now…oh, and flying cars and robots too!

9 Likes

We have landed on Mercury. Not very gently though.

6 Likes

Hehe. Rocket scientists sometimes jokingly call this “lithobraking.” It is a very effective method!

6 Likes

it actually sounds like something from Welcome to Nightvale to me, so congratulations, reality, for pushing up THAT bar for them.

5 Likes

have you seen a turkey’s face? not sure it matters…dey ugly on both ends.

2 Likes

This is actually the Turkey intelligence Service. They are walking back the cat to see how it compromised their network.

3 Likes

Caterpillars will do that, too.

6 Likes

“A Ring of Dead Flamingos” would be a great band name.

5 Likes

So, the secret to successful turkey hunting is apparently to bring a dead cat along.

The usually extremely wary wild turkey will form a ring and be distracted enough to… Well it almost looks like you could just walk up and pop one into a bag or something.

I’ve heard of that, it’s called a turfucked’in.

I’m not a hunter but I’m confused about wild turkeys’ reputation for cagey evasiveness. I’ve seen them strolling around suburban streets not even bothering to hurry out of the way of traffic. Of course you can’t shoot them there, but how do they know that? How does their behavior change in the deep woods?

My mom was going to her car in a school parking lot one day and a wild turkey followed her to her car. She was tempted to open the door to the back seat and bring it home. Instead she beeped her car and it decided it was more fun to go back up to the school and threaten to charge any of the kids trying to leave the school. After 5 minutes it got bored and wandered off elsewhere.

I know they aren’t overly cagey around here. You can shoot them from the road and sometimes people do. I’m just glad they aren’t as numerous as Canadian Geese.

2 Likes