Turkey introduces a get-of-jail-by-marrying-the-child-you-raped law

Anyone want to talk about the religious elephant in the room?

5 Likes

It wasn’t a problem the first time. I’m not sure why it would be a burden for them to just rape their wife anew every night until she has produced sufficient offspring to satisfy his needs.

I think people here are underestimating just how much of an absolute shithead a person can be when enabled by societal norms.

3 Likes

How very Biblical. (Deuteronomy 22:28–29)

5 Likes

I completely agree with you that is a backward way of organizing society and it is awful for the women there.
But, they still have different values, which again I disagree, and we can’t just look at the new proposed law without considering their whole customs like they were legalizing rape.
It make sense for some of them to value family honor above their daughters well-being, but it doesn’t mean that it is not very misogynistic or that it justifies the additional suffering imposed on those girls.

1 Like

Italy had such laws for a while. They made a great movie of a real life incident where the woman refused to marry her rapist.

You may recognize the star, Ornella Muti, she went on to play Princess Aura in Flash Gordon.

4 Likes

I just threw up in my mouth, and not just a little bit.

7 Likes

Perhaps I should have used the /s.

1 Like

Exactly. I’m saying if one is a rapist, they are probably inclined to continue to rape regardless of the laws on marital rape.

5 Likes

10 Likes

Lets be realistic here. A society that introduces this law doesn’t even have the concept of “Marital Rape”. It’s a totally foreign concept.

2 Likes

That was a response to someone who claims Turkey has passed a law against marital rape. I haven’t looked it up personally.

1 Like

I was gonna write something similar. It’s not a popular opinion on Boing Boing tho. Yes, I consider this to be cruel and barbaric, and we should try to educate these people why this is so wrong. Help them understand the cruelty behind this. Now, I see some are bashing this already, because they see this injustice and they can’t believe how we could think like that. We have cruel injustices here too, legal injustices, yet we don’t correct those. I could list many of them, but it’s actually better if you can think of some of those yourselves before you decide to judge other cultures, no matter how primitive they may seem.

I wanted to check my country to see when it was repealed, and wikipedia says it was enacted in 1984 and repealed in 2005. WTF
There are several countries, including developed ones that only repealed it after the 1990s, and some after 2000s.
I thought this was settled much before.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, in occupied Kurdistan

Yes, Turkey thinks the PKK are terrorists, but when the terrorists care more about your wellbeing than the government then there might just be a problem with the government that justifies getting rid of them.

8 Likes

Italy waited 25 years after the Franca Viola case in that movie to repeal their laws.

1 Like

Came here for that reference.

1 Like

It’s disgusting no matter how you try to justify raping little children.

2 Likes

Her disposition obviously wasn’t an issue the first time(s) he had sex with her! :roll_eyes: :pensive:

Moral relativism is bullshit. That’s not too say there aren’t many things that are fucked up in your culture (whoever you may be, including myself). One has a moral imperative to call out all this wherever and whenever it happens.

3 Likes

Even in that context and removing all considerations of the child from the equation, it doesn’t make sense. If the concern was the burden, they could just require lifetime financial support.

1 Like