Turks and Caicos imprisons American tourists over ammunition in luggage

Respectfully, who the fuck else would have such a cavalier approach to ammunition and firearms?

No offense…

24 Likes

Yeah. I don’t think they these gun nuts realise just how uncommon this carelessness around firearms is from a global perspective.

I can truthfully say that I have never touched live ammunition in my life. I am actually relatively sure that I have never seen live ammo with my own eyes. The thought of just having it lying around and in such abundance that you can’t keep track of it is monstrous.

15 Likes

Again:

Americans are NOT a monolithic entity.

Some of us are all too well aware of the cavalier attitude that far too many people in the US have when it comes to firearm safety, or the total lack thereof… especially those of us who have lost loved ones to senseless gun violence.

18 Likes

“They” being American gun nuts, not Americans in general. Apologies if that was unclear, as I can see in hindsight it absolutely was.

11 Likes

It was.

Fixed it for ya.

Thx.

12 Likes

Did the guy get caught coming into the country or leaving? At minimum the TSA need lessons in security (again)! If they let the guy into the country but caught him on the way out the country needs a security refresher. security theater again…

5 Likes

We may not be monolithic but we sure are statistically more likely to be in possession of firearms and ammunition than people from other countries are.
And if an American passport gets more scrutiny than one from elsewhere it’s not like American customs hasn’t singled out people from certain countries for special treatment. This is people being astonished that their Americanness isn’t a get out of jail free card.

8 Likes

Odd; I never said nor even implied otherwise.

9 Likes

I’m sure someone traveling to the US from a country like Portugal where drugs for personal use are decriminalized would be pretty careful about leaving extra heroin in their luggage. Or for that matter, entering the country with bomb components. “But I clearly wasn’t going to assemble the bomb on the plane” would not likely fly as an excuse.

8 Likes

Indeed. I feel like Turks and Caicos is doing what the US should be doing.

According to NBC this morning, T&C allows some possible exceptions to the mandatory prison sentence if the person who broke the law meets ALL four of the following criteria: character references, zero criminal infractions, intent, AND the accused has proof of taking gun safety courses.

Pop Tv Yes GIF by Schitt's Creek

14 Likes

If it was a good gun safety course, and the person was paying attention to it, the person taking the course would know not to do things like leave bullets lying around.

13 Likes

Thats It Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

7 Likes

Since, generally, wives do the packing, especially in MAGAt households, maybe she set him up!!! Ah, my first conspiracy theory. Feels good.

13 Likes

Just to add another international perspective: I grew up in Northern Canada. I have handled live ammunition, and so have a lot of my friends. Guns were treated like very dangerous tools for hunting. That was northern Canadian life, back then. Maybe it still is.

We were told, over and over until it stuck, that a mistake with a gun could kill any random person in a 1-mile radius. Nobody - nobody - even hinted that they were for home defense.

Around age 20, a friend who owned firearms woke up one night and discovered there was a burglar in his house. He realized he might need a weapon, so he grabbed a baseball bat. “My brain never jumped to the idea of using a gun as a weapon against burglars. Now, in daylight, when I have time to think, it still doesn’t.”

So, as someone who spent time around guns and ammunition, the idea of loose rounds in the luggage just makes parts of my brain scream at other parts of my brain.

18 Likes

It used to be considered just as insane here (US). An old Doonesbury, about how only someone as unhinged as Duke would randomly fire a gun around the house.

From here, for more context.

ETA: about 1980

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.