Twitter censures UK Tory Party for changing its blue-check account name to "FactCheckUK" during the prime ministerial debates

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/20/boris-the-clown.html

2 Likes

Conservative Party chairman James Cleverly

Not so clever(ly) as he thinks he is. Just because the bulk of his party’s supporters are idiots doesn’t make him a genius.

10 Likes

So now we know what the failure mode of Cleverly is.

7 Likes

I see that as yet another sign that we are stuck in some hack writer’s novel.

5 Likes

Needless to say satirising the English Fascist Party will lead to consequences, but fascists lying? Not on Twitter’s watch.

18 Likes

One small correction.

The Brexit Party are the English Fascist Party. The Tories are the English Not Quite Fascist But Close Enough Party.

16 Likes

This really should be a crime, no?

6 Likes

It’s fine! Dominic Raab says no-one gives a toss!

8 Likes

From even the smallest distance it’s impossible to spot the difference.

I always felt that Rees Mogg being described as “obviously not a fascist” absurd and his protestations held about the weight of Franco complaining of being lumped in with fascists (obviously i’m a falangist). I actually think it’s more that he and the British establishment can’t conceive of comparing them with European political movements. They’re English, and obviously better. Even if indistinguishable.

12 Likes

It’s about three months.

14 Likes

Bunch of fucking gangsters.

4 Likes

Touché!

and some more characters.

6 Likes

Wow, I bet they really regret that now.

<hopeless sigh>

6 Likes

I mean, the obvious solution is that any change to the name of an account with a verified check should cause it to become unverified, right? I mean, that’s not even an “algorithm” failing, that’s just not even thinking for a moment about what verification means.

21 Likes

It’s been proven again and again that anyone who calls himself a “conservative” actually means “utterly shameless liar with no conscience and the morals of a crack dealer”.

6 Likes

Tens of thousands of reasons to allow the Tories to do what they want based on their last campaign.

I tweeted a few times, it was ok. But correct me if I’m wrong but don’t people change that little bold name constantly as a joke? Why is that the one that show’s up on “_____ retweeted” and such,. and not the locked-down “handle?” that seems a bit silly, especially given they bothered to have a weird “verification” process…

1 Like

That’s not quite fair. I think the English Royalist Party might be a better description.

Ah, yes, the old “player commits a red-card-worthy-foul but the ref gives them a talking to instead of sending them off” situation. It only encourages the bad behavior.

7 Likes

Ooh, censure. That’ll stop them, for sure.

4 Likes