Twitter co-founder Ev Williams says Fox News is "much, much more powerful and much more destructive than Twitter"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/22/twitter-co-founder-believes-fo.html

5 Likes

Yes, Ev, Twitter is the Mini-Me.

11 Likes

Rupert Murdoch’s global news outlets are poison.

7 Likes

Yeah well till Twitter can clean up it’s act saying Fox News is worse is like saying it is only stage 3 pancreatic cancer instead of stage 4.

28 Likes

Well, yes, but…

Exactly. Saying Fox is worse is about as far from a defense as one can get.

19 Likes

tenor

11 Likes

Probably true, yes. But that doesn’t absolve Twitter of its numerous flaws and issues.

8 Likes

Trump is no genius. He’s a cranky, old fart who typey-types on his phone. And Twitter probably has an algorithm designed to highlight him. Even if they don’t, they never kicked him off and as candidate-turned-president the number of followers means he’ll garner attention anyway.

Stop making excuses that Twitter isn’t as bad!

10 Likes

Can we all agree to start putting air quotes around news when we talk about fox?

8 Likes

Who exactly is leading the charge at Fox News these days now that Ailes is gone, anyway? It’s not just Murdoch on his throne cackling with glee as the world burns, is it?

4 Likes

I’d be willing to bet that most 'murican’s don’t use the Twitter but, most, if not all, watch the FoxNews tube. So, yeah I’d say FoxNews is much, much, more destructive. Dangerously so.

3 Likes

Don’t look over here, look over there!

15 Likes

13 Likes

Twitter is the cess pool sibling to Faux News.

3 Likes

Why are you arresting me? I only killed like 10 people. The military is much, much more murderous.

8 Likes

Note: “'murican” is slang for trump’s base.

You are outside that venn diagram. (Hopefully!)

3 Likes

Thanks. Happy not to be acquainted with that bit of jargon. Will delete my remark.

1 Like

I thought Ev had pretty much checked out of Twitter. It’s nice that he sees Twitter still has room to grow.

1 Like

“Oh, no,” said the pot, “You can see the kettle is much blacker than I am!”

5 Likes

Gotta love that the “secret” to being a “genius” at twitter is to be an abusive asshole. That’s definitely a sign that you have brought a healthy media platform into the world. It’s also not like people didn’t notice that in 2012 when Trump was huge on Twitter for his birther conspiracy nonsense, or when InfoWars became a household name through Twitter, or how Milo became famous for his Twitter abuse, or how 4chan had a larger moderation crackdown on GamerGate abuse than Twitter. The list goes on, and goes back years before 2016.

12 Likes