Twitter fined $350k for protecting Trump; gave up the goods anyways

Originally published at: Twitter fined $350k for protecting Trump; gave up the goods anyways | Boing Boing

5 Likes

This is why it’s generally frowned upon to respond to a subpoena with a poop emoji.

17 Likes

Any LawTalkers/TechWizards who can explain what info can be obtained by searching a Twitter account?

3 Likes

So Musk was super eager to comply with (and justify) political censorship demands from Modi and Erdoğan, but Twitter balked at this? Yeah, I guess it’s on-brand…

15 Likes

it says dms, so his private messages. ( or dungeon masters, i suppose )

12 Likes

Ah. I guess I assumed the NSA already had those.

5 Likes

in theory the nsa has all of the connections between people and when, not always what was said. if they wanted to target him though – sure, why not.

good luck getting them to admit they have it, or getting them to turn their data, techniques, and methods over to the justice department and the courts.

( eta: the government is not one entity. and, especially where the nsa and cia are concerned, they operate well outside the view of the other portions. )

12 Likes

I wonder if compliance with a request like this would even have to go through Elon Musk himself. If it’s a lawful subpoena couldn’t someone lower down the food chain (who wasn’t all in for Trump) turn over the data?

5 Likes

… yeah but they’re making a court case not chasing spies, they can’t submit anything as evidence they didn’t get “the right way” :thinking:

6 Likes

What percentage of his DMs do we think are unsolicited nudes from MAGA fans?

3 Likes

i’d bet it runs mainly through the lawyers, but i have to imagine that any x employee who didn’t let the owner know ■■■■■’s records were being subpoenaed would quickly become an ex-employee.

3 Likes

Sure but there’s a difference between letting the boss know and getting the boss’s blessing before complying with a lawful order. You can bet that the folks at Mar-a-Lago didn’t have Trump’s blessing to let investigators take those boxes out of his bathroom.

3 Likes

Anything the account owner hasn’t yet deleted?

To preserve the evidence recorded

It refers to DMs - I assume that is direct messages (never on Twitter, I assume those are a thing there).

2 Likes

You’re assuming it’s limited to just that. They may be able to get deleted stuff too if it’s just tagged as deleted, or get it from backups.

3 Likes

Maybe IP addresses in case TFG tries to say it wasn’t him who sent the messages.

6 Likes

It would be interesting to see who’s devices were logged into his account and what was posted from them.

5 Likes

Just sayin’, the only dungeon Trump could master would consist of one room and no monsters.

yeah. just because an online service has a “delete” option, don’t expect that it’s deleted in the sense that a normal person would think.

like you say, they certainly aren’t going to bother purging that off their backups… but that’s also money in the form of ad targeting info. why would they ever give that up?

far easier for them to mark it as hidden. ( as a concrete example: a lot of people mentioned how when they manually deleted their tweets after the buy out, those tweets came back. )

2 Likes

it’s kind of like a murphy’s law sort of axiom:

if you don’t want it deleted, there’ll be only one copy of it anywhere and it’ll be deleted permanently

if you do want it deleted, there’ll be infinite copies on the internet that you can’t control and will never be deleted

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.