Twitter loses World Bank ads over pro-Nazi content placement

Originally published at: Twitter loses World Bank ads over pro-Nazi content placement - Boing Boing

10 Likes

Repeat for a ton of other orgs getting placed adjacent to fascist propaganda and bankrupt this Nazi bar.

22 Likes

Yes… good. Let’s hope this trend continues.

But also… why does the World Bank need ads? They give loans to the developing world, so… they know about it? :thinking: Who are they advertising to? None of us are gonna go to the World Bank to get a loan, because they only loan to states, yeah?

22 Likes

Maybe they think they need to do PR like those corporate PR ads that are mainly for investors? They get funding from governments, including the US, so they want the funders (i.e., us) to think they’re doing good stuff for people.

15 Likes

Sean Flanagan Yes GIF by Foil Arms and Hog

11 Likes

Yeah. Twitter was a brand advertising site, not a product advertising site. You didn’t go there for sales but for brand enhancement.

Now of course you advertise there to roll your brand in steaming racist shit and then set it on fire.

Which I’m fairly happy for most brand advertisers to do if I’m being honest.

14 Likes

A more relevant question is why was the World Bank still paying for ads on Xitter until now?

After so many other advertisers left, you’d think they’d have smelled this shit by now, so: what made them draw the line now ?

13 Likes

The Guardian is reporting that several fellows of The Royal Society have written to the institution requesting it removes Musk’s fellowship, awarded in 2018.

20 Likes

I was going to get a World Bank debit card, but now that telephone salesman with a forun accent can go scratch. If they won’t support super genius Musk, they’re not getting my business!

12 Likes

When you are too dodgy for the World Bank, you know you’ve fucked up.

10 Likes

dd0f5d77-a888-451f-b4de-d9d1d4d0de98_text

It’s not legally required to make sense, and the PR budget might get cut if it isn’t spent.

6 Likes

Given the swamp of conspiracy theories around the World Bank and the WEF that Musk and his sycophants swim in, you’d think this is one of the few advertisers they’d welcome leaving the site.

(as opposed to being opposed to the World Bank and the WEF for the actual awful shit they enable, of course)

6 Likes

TIL the World Bank advertised on Twitter.

5 Likes

“We crush social programs and worker rights, but we’re not monsters!”

7 Likes

However, there are concerns that any move to eject Musk would have to be based not on his views, but on his ability to amplify his beliefs, and concerns that his influence could cause serious and intentional harm.

That doesn’t sound like a difficult bar to clear.

4 Likes

And prepare for the owner or general manager of the joint to whinge publicly about “censorship” when yet another sponsor pulls down their neon sign.

7 Likes

Stand close to me, not next to me.

3 Likes

… any move to eject Musk would have to be based not on his views, but on the harmfulness of his views :thinking:

1 Like

I’m surprised Twitter’s lenders haven’t started calling its loans. Or required Musk to put up more collateral.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.