Twitter purges hate groups

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/19/twitter-purges-hate-groups.html

8 Likes

Next up, right-wing “patriots” claiming that Twitter is violating the First Amendment rights of the hatemongers.

24 Likes

Much like reddit… twitter needs to pay the bills to keep running and the advertisers and investors don’t like being associated with Nazis… at least ones other than Trump anyway.

14 Likes

It’s hard to imagine any meaningful rules they could put in place against those individuals that wouldn’t apply to you-know-who.

20 Likes

GG-suspicious-blanche

7 Likes

For sure. Then again, most of them have no idea what the First Amendment actually means…

12 Likes

I’m just gonna’ bet that they missed one…

14 Likes

Wait, there are other groups on Reddit?

11 Likes

So they closed down Trump’s account?

4 Likes

Day late and a dollar short.

6 Likes

You-known-who will continue to be exempt from the regular rules, for reasons.

2 Likes

I just find it funny that right wingers are only for freedom of speech when it becomes obvious that their corporate masters won’t protect them from other corporations. Free market is only free for them it seems.

5 Likes

This could be a few people. Assuming Spenser, I understand that he’s actually quite well-behaved on Twitter. Trump is a special case: they will not ban Trump. They’ve already carved out a policy that lets him do whatever he pleases on the basis of newsworthiness.

4 Likes

And that’s a major roadblock for policing hate speech, because Twitter presumably won’t ban white supremacists just for retweeting the President of the United States.

8 Likes

I definitely cannot see anybody making a straight face argument that POTUS’s Twitter account constitutes hate speech. The closest I think he’s came (as President) is retweeting the Britain First stuff (that account has been banned by the way.)

But I think we should definitely start a crowdfund campaign for the first person to goad/trick him into get him banned as hate speech.

1 Like

And meanwhile, Mike Cernovich is still Verified, and Jack is still following him.

1 Like

Has anyone actually tried creating a Twitter account that does nothing but post the same messages verbatim that were posted by Trump’s account? How long would such an account last?

3 Likes

an echo “echo chamber” chamber

1 Like

I can imagine all the crying and cries to regulate or nationalize Twitter on Breitbart.

1 Like

wait… wait… no, no - Trump is still tweeting.

1 Like