Twitter sued for not paying rent at San Francisco office

I’m guessing he fired so much of his accounting department that nobody left knows whose job it is to pay the rent.

17 Likes

I suspect it may not actually be deliberate. He’s certainly made a lot of incredibly dumb decisions intended to save money that did the opposite, but he also fired all the people who had the jobs of doing things like taking care of infrastructure (i.e. paying the rent). The company is so chaotic I could easily believe that they can’t get their shit together to pay even now that he’s aware it’s going unpaid. It’s the malevolent/incompetent idiot question again. I mean, both, but how much of each in this case?

16 Likes

Abstract concepts? I’m no longer convinced he’s mastered object permanence.

16 Likes

Twitter apparently can’t afford toilet paper (which is a legal requirement, I’ve read) for their massively reduced staff.

How can they possibly afford $100s of K of rent?}

If I was one of the people working there, I’d be worried about my pay.

9 Likes

It’s also a peculiar move when it’s commercial real estate. Such procedural protections as make eviction tedious tend to be more residential focused(in places where they exist at all); and commercial landlords probably aren’t just a couple of naïve empty nesters letting out the spare room. Almost certainly they’d rather have the tenant just pay; but probably not so small that they can be cowed on a contractual point that is trivially in their favor.

8 Likes

yeah. that was my bet. maybe they don’t even have access to the accounts that send the checks, and probably don’t even know what accounts they need access to.

by gutting the company he broke the company. companies don’t run without people

13 Likes

Twitter Accounts Receivable:

Twitter Accounts Payable:

13 Likes

I think you’re onto it. Maybe he didn’t expect Twitter to still be afloat, so why pay the rent?

6 Likes

And it really showed how delusional he is about what Twitter is. He thinks it’s a tech platform, so he let go most of the people who weren’t directly involved with that, including (almost) all the people responsible for the day-to-day operations of the company itself. (And in specific departments, probably all the people.) It’s amazing it’s still staggering on even after just two months. Whatever the opposite is of a “galaxy brain,” that’s Musk.

11 Likes

Or he’s fired the people who usually pay it…

2 Likes

Interestingly, Twitter subleased the 30th floor to advertising agency Dentsu just a few months ago, in October 2022.

I assume that Dentsu is also complaining about the smell, and the rats. That time your terrible roommate was the decaying remnants of a Social Media Company. :skunk::nauseated_face:

8 Likes

The libertarian minded always want to ditch things they think are unnecessary, forgetting that 99% of the time those things exist for a reason.

10 Likes

Thanks for a genuine LOL :joy:

7 Likes

Christ what an asshole.

3 Likes

I’m just surprised that the payroll checks haven’t been bouncing, from someone not transferring the right amount into that account.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.