Twitter temporarily suspends Alex Jones

I can’t help but think of Ian McKellen in Richard III, mostly because I love that interpretation of “My kingdom for a horse!”

(Also, just discovered that imfdb.org is a thing…)

6 Likes

I’m gonna go out on an incredibly short and sturdy limb here and bet that Jack is completely happy to have Jones calling him an ally. It’s sometimes hard to know where the stupefyingly thick ignorance ends and the willful complicity begins, but in the end Jack has never done a single thing to make me suspect he’s not actually on Jones’s side. I cannot think of a better explanation for why he would lie about Jones not violating their TOS, then actually come to Jones’s defense and throw the TOS out the window the minute journalists came at him with the receipts.

6 Likes

Even if Jack secretly agrees with/admires Alex Jones I think being called out publicly as an ally is still causing him headaches right now. Kind of like when David Duke goes on TV praising Trump.

4 Likes

Sure. Maybe not directly, but if you lure it out onto a bridge then burn/melt the bridge it’ll fall. Just watch out for the demon’s whip; let it wrap around your staff and let go of the staff when it does.

If that doesn’t work, lure it into a mine shaft and burn the supports. It may not be dead, but it’ll be trapped at least for a little while. [In this metaphor, Twitter’s stock price is the support holding the roof over Jones’s head.]

1 Like

Funnier if, as I had hoped, that URL led to the Internet Motherfuckers Database

6 Likes

It sounds like the random commercial babbling of a kid’s cartoon with merchandising tie-in. “Now all G.I. Joe action figures come with their own super battle rifles! Be sure to purchase the go-force strike tank with real boom boom sounds! Special edition red-faced screaming Alex Jones figure now provided with every packet of Super Male Vitality!”

5 Likes

This is slightly tangential, but since we don’t have a “Twitter fuckery” roundup thread…

In an interview with The Washington Post on Wednesday, Dorsey said he was experimenting with features that would promote alternative viewpoints in Twitter’s timeline to address misinformation and reduce “echo chambers.”

What do you figure the odds are that this “feature” will be used to further broaden the reach of white supremacists rhetoric and unhinged conspiracy theories, and/or put marginalized people at further risk of harassment by explicitly injecting their tweets into racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic people’s timelines without their actual knowledge?

6 Likes

AAAAAAGH
MY EYES

you bastard

2 Likes

They are afraid that if they permanently ban Jones, his fans would create a critical mass to get Gab off the ground. Right now, Gab has almost no content because noone uses it…because it has almost no content.

3 Likes

Imagine being naive enough to think a one-week timeout is going to change the behavior of a man who couldn’t give his hateful “performance art” a rest even when the very custody of his children was at stake.

6 Likes

Tweet this.

6 Likes

If the flames don’t work, try a chainsaw… screw it, just start right in with a blazing chainsaw! Better safe than sorry.

redemption

2 Likes

Perhaps somewhat relevant:

the-simpsons-nelson

1 Like

Chainsaw? Not metal enough.

Flaming chainsaw? Getting better, but not quite there.

Flaming chainsword? That’s the ticket.

1 Like

I thought the difference was that a battle rifle is a select-fire weapon firing a full-size rifle cartridge (e.g. M-14 or FN-FAL) while an assault rifle fires an intermediate cartridge (AK-47 or M-16).

Neither is easily available to civilians in the US. Semi-automatic versions of both are.

I think they’re worried that if they are seen to follow their own ToS and (even temporarily) ban a prominent promulgator of hate, lies and conspiracy shit, people will start expecting, even demanding they do it again. And that means they might lose the whole right-wing crank audience, from the GamerGate assholes and petty alt-right peddlers of hate, to major conspiracy-mongers, to the Orange Occupant of Oval Office himself!

2 Likes

How sad.

9 characters worth of sad.

1 Like

I didn’t know how far to push the geekery :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.