Twitter users hunt down Seattle Nazi and knock him out

This is turning into quite a good history thread. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I simply didn’t know where to start with that post.

Everyone of the things listed involved significant violence.

3 Likes

That was kind of the point.

2 Likes

Sorry - I was unclear. I didn’t mean the things you listed. I meant the things they had listed. India, Africa, European nations.

4 Likes

Out of context? You mean the context of the book The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks
By Jeanne Theoharis on page 202 where Rosa Parks was speaking about the criticism toward Dr King from other civil rights activist? Where she was explaining how many people left the King movement due to lack of results? You mean the context where she was explaining that Dr King ultimately failed due to the white establishment not responding in kind to non-violence? You mean the context where she further went to speak about the rise of black militancy due to the violence from the white supremacists?

Tell me again, how quoting Rosa Parks on the failures of Dr Kings approach in response to you quoting Dr Kings admonishment of violence in a discussion on the relative merits of non-violent vs violent action in the face of oppression is taking it out of context?

Yes, I denounce the violence of the intolerant white supremacy movement and support the protectionist violence of removing said cancer from our society. But hey, you chat with them and ask them to stop. Good luck with that.

5 Likes

Apologies! I know we had an (amicable) disagreement earlier over the role of violence in the fall of fascism in Spain, Greece and Portugal, and I was worried you thought I was making a similar argument w/r/t India (where I’m on firmer ground).

No, no your point was quite clear! My post really was unclear. :frowning:

1 Like

I think we can all agree: if WW2 taught us anything, it’s that at some point it is necessary to “punch” Nazis.

We’re just debating where/when that point is.

11 Likes

From http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/scw/knox.htm

13 Likes

Thank you. I can only speak for Canada, so I was hoping someone else could show the fallacy of the other claims.

4 Likes

Right, so statues to guys like Cornwallis celebrating him as a founder aren’t glorifying violence. We need a Missing Women and Children inquiry that is still ongoing because we’re having such a great conversation and dealing with our violent past so well.

If you think Rest of Canada is suffering for what it did to the Natives, you’re not paying attention to who still suffers in this country. Lip service is not recognition.

And if you still want to call that “horrible things” so you don’t have to look too hard at what our founders did to other people, go ask a Quebeçois about the non-violent founding of Canada… I recommend you do it on Jean Baptiste Day for extra fun.

7 Likes

Cite, please? Punching someone to shut them up or because you don’t like what they say or wear is not “fighting back”/self-defense.

Punching someone to shut them up or because you don’t like what they say or wear is the definition of the behavior you’ve been denouncing.

1 Like

Another excellent example of a straw man. No one is punching Nazis to shut them up or because they don’t like what Nazis say. People punch Nazi’s because allowing intolerant people to persist in a tolerant society will ultimately destroy said society. People punch Nazis to protect society.

I refer you to this entire discussion.

So the definition of White Supremacy, Nazism, and White Nationalism is punching people for what they say or wear? Yeah… no.

6 Likes

Uh, hello? That’s exactly why Nazis (armband guy, Richard Spencer, et al) are getting punched.

People punch Nazi’s because allowing intolerant people to persist in a tolerant society will ultimately destroy said society.

Wrong. The United States has a long history of allowing intolerant, despicable assholes to preach their odious bullshit. We’ve survived, and we’ll continue to survive, because we’re not afraid of words.

People punch Nazis to protect society.

We don’t need or want that kind of protection. “Protecting society” is exactly what the Nazis claim they’re doing.

1 Like

My apologies. I was unaware of your psychic abilities and your intimate knowledge of the mindset of everyone who has ever punched a Nazi.

Indeed. We also have a pretty solid history of killing Nazis.

So you speak for everyone now. Wow, psychic and the voice of the people. You are an impressive beast aren’t you?

For me, the real gem is this

6 Likes

jon-snow-slurps

7 Likes

I appreciate the Popper tolerating-intolerance argument. But is not believing in street violence the same thing as tolerating Nazis?

If you’re not beating someone up, you’re “tolerating” them? Are those our only choices?

1 Like

In the context of the actual topic;

The Nazi in question was harassing people in public; rather than call an internet lynch mob, someone should have done something right then, in the moment.

At no point have I ever said it’s ‘okay’ to punch someone to ‘shut them up’; but if someone threatens others violence and gets met with violence, then no tears will be wasted on them.

I don’t start the bullshit or throw the first punch in general; but if someone swings at me, then we’re just gonna be some fighting muthafuckas.

6 Likes

I think you misspelled the Mughal empire there.

6 Likes

He’s posted four times in three years.

4 Likes