Twitter's $8 verification system releases a gusher of brand-damaging impersonators

I might be getting old but what if we all just moved slowly, and fixed things?

22 Likes

37 Likes

Not to mention, gifting the world with previously impossible, priceless barbs, such as a fake Cap’n Crunch account (verified, of course) asking that people post pictures of their feet. :laughing:

9 Likes

It WAS that (as well as a tool to spread misinformation, conspiracy theories and fascism), but it’s time to move on. It’s time to leave giant corporate “one size fits all” social media sites like Twitter and Facebook in the dustbin of history. I’m not saying the internet is going to return to the days of web forums, but with any luck, social media is going to look different in the future. Or maybe it won’t, people seem almost desperate to cling to exploitative corporate platforms that are deliberately designed to be addictive, have zero customer support or appeals process, and use algorithms that mysteriously always seem to favor bigots and authoritarians while mindlessly and unjustly punishing artists, women, activists and BIPOC.

16 Likes

Once again, this seems on point:

5 Likes

I think thats his true goal. Supression of information, discussion and organization. I remember the role Twitter had in the Arab Spring especially.

11 Likes

It’s hard to tell, but I also lean toward incompetence. I read here that one of his advisors on Twitter is Jason Calacanis, who’s well-known to anyone from the old Silicon Alley days of Dotcom 1.0 as a serial bungler who’s failed his way upwards by flattering the right people.

12 Likes

…and, according to the WaPo, Jared Birchall, Alex Spiro and David Sacks. What a crew.

Also, “micromanaging individual projects”? Recipe for disaster.

10 Likes

Ugh - David Sack(of)s(hit). That is quite the rogue’s gallery of incompetence and evil he has got there. I feel bad for everyone at Twitter dealing with this pack of ghouls

7 Likes

I used to think that with enough thrust, you could make anything fly, but Musk’s money/sense ratio is all wrong.

7 Likes

Wow! I was listening to the vergecast talk about this week and I had not realized that the Twitter Blue verification purchase required having an Apple ID and using ios. That is astounding

10 Likes

Ah, this is the right audience for this meme I think!

10 Likes

And apparently, yesterday only, for your $8.99 one time payment, you got two blue checkmarks, and you could get multiples of it. I think they took it down, though, but it was worth it.

3 Likes

I’m going to call it now:

Elmo bought Twitter to drive it into bankruptcy at the behest of his MAGA comrades and GQP insiders. He will write the bankruptcy off on his ahem taxes and claim it was all ANTIFA’s fault.

tenor

1 Like

If that really is the master plan [Narrator: It isn’t.] he better not visit any Saudi embassies afterwards.

12 Likes
18 Likes

I dunno, Prince Bonesaw probably doesn’t want to get Arab Springed at some point, and taking Twitter out might be a risk reduction strategy there.

Of course, some other shitfest will replace it, so…

4 Likes

17 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.