Twitter's ad revenue fell $1.5bn this year

Originally published at: Twitter's ad revenue fell $1.5bn this year | Boing Boing

5 Likes

A turd by any other name…

5 Likes

Between this and the Tesla recall and loss of the Starlink subsidy, Elon’s (sorry, “Mr. Musk’s”) 5D chess game is really getting intense!

15 Likes

Absolutely what you want to see when you add one billion per year in debt repayments to the company’s liabilities…

8 Likes

Don’t forget reduced tax credits on Teslas in the US!

5 Likes
4 Likes

Would that be 5D chess from a pigeon’s perspective? A particularly nasty extra dimension. 0_o

3 Likes

7 Likes

6733_663d

5 Likes

It’s just going down the tubes. Is he going to just keep throwing money at his vanity project, or sell it at a loss and take a tax write off? Or shutter it and then blame it on various people for destroying Twitter.

5 Likes

Ya know, when the oligarchs and Saudis lent Mush the money for Twitter I gotta think they were looking at those revenue projections of $7.5B a year and said “solid investment, this company is doing things right”.

Reminds me of a local butcher shop - started by a German couple, cured the meats like back in Europe, amazing products. They did boffo biz and when they retired it was an attractive business to sell. A family not-from-Europe bought it, added sugar to everything and within a year all the regulars stopped coming, shop closed soon after. Refused to listen to their customers.

They literally had a fk’ing recipe for success and ruined it. 15 jobs gone, investment gone.

Mush is the sugar in my sausage.

10 Likes

Unless the Saudis’ real investment was buying themselves an incredibly influential American oligarch.

9 Likes

Totally false. Twitter’s ad revenue dropped to zero because it doesn’t exist anymore. X’s ad revenue went from zero to 2.5b in just it’s first year of existence! That’s unprecedented growth! (/s, but not really because this is essentially the argument they’ve made)

11 Likes

I think you mean “Nascent start-up social media platform X had a rookie year for the record books, earning just $1.5 billion less in ad revenues than former industry juggernaut Twitter earned in 2022.”

4 Likes

I’d bet a blue checkmark that when he liquidates, X will be the one thing he insists on taking with him. He really is just an angry 15 year old boy insisting that his vast collection of Justice League Funko Pops are going to be worth millions one day.

4 Likes

when it finally gets sold for whatever it’s worth, it’ll likely be renamed back to Twitter.

My bet (a whole $1) is that he keeps the platform and continues to call it “X,” while selling the Twitter brand along with related unused asserts. X will be where Nazis, white supremacists, MuskMinionstm, and the like hang out, while the Twitter brand itself is used to sell advertising on a platform that will never again be quite what it was or live up to its potential.

3 Likes

Or the Twitter URL will just redirect to BlueSky.

3 Likes

Why do they have ad revenue beyond $0? I suppose neo nazis must buy some ads, but I can’t fathom anyone but them actually being willing to have their brand on that platform at this point.

3 Likes

its getting serious;

one big hurdle is also gone;

However, with Thursday’s launch, Meta is giving users the option to browse Threads without creating a profile on the app or on Instagram.

“People who use Threads without a profile can browse content on Threads, search for accounts, share content via link copying or platform sharing, and report Threads content

the suck seeks his chance;

Zuckerberg in earnings calls has remained steadfast that the platform would eventually reach its goal of 1 billion users.

“I’m highly confident we’re going to be able to pour enough gasoline on this to help it grow,” he said.

6 Likes

…Gasoline doesn’t help most things grow, but I guess there are always fires.

6 Likes