Twitter's decline: gradual, then sudden

Originally published at: Twitter's decline: gradual, then sudden | Boing Boing

24 Likes

54 Likes

So, (place yer bets place yer bets) which goes down first? twitter or reddit? (“meh. neither. they’ll both dwindle and be sold off piecemeal and limp along forever in some ghastly spectral/derivative form like aol. chiefly to sell cryptocurrency.”)

30 Likes

His money and power command attention and his actions have far-reaching consequences, but his behavior is rarely befitting of his station.

I suppose never is technically rarely.

22 Likes

he doesn’t really care. The new reality that media folks can’t quite adapt to is that Twitter is now Elon Musk’s personal website.

Sure, that is true, but at the same time, Twitter is stuck with a load of debt that, in theory, needs to be serviced. I suspect Elno made some deals with his lenders such that he’s not having to pay what he should be right now because they’re idiotically trusting that he’s got some brilliant plan to turn Twitter into something of real value and revenue. At some point it will all fall apart to a point where the reality will sink in for them, at which point the banks are going to end up with Twitter (and their stake is probably already more than what Twitter is worth, now)

25 Likes

what was once one of the most vibrant and important social networks on the planet

Funny, seems like we got along fine both before and after it. I guess the author must be pining for the golden age of Trump spewing unmoderated hate tweets into everyone’s face on a daily basis.

15 Likes

i do think that undersells how journalists used it to talk to each other and the public, and how it helped reveal things to the wider public like police violence against people of color, how it helped to organize political groups, etc.

was it an overall force for good or bad? i dunno. i can’t even tell that about computers in general

26 Likes

Musk is sure to be the next Andrew Torba.

9 Likes

I Dont Know Her Mariah Carey GIF by MOODMAN

13 Likes

The CEO of far-far-far right twit clone Gab.

8 Likes

It’s going really well for them, I had to Google the name and still didn’t recognise them.

15 Likes

Honestly I think he’s eventually going to get in deep shit because he might try/do a bunch of illegal shit to keep the operation afloat in order to try to save face. His ego will refuse to let him fail. The same ego that keeps him from learning from his mistakes going into buying the site and managing it.

12 Likes

Linda Yaccarino must be more and more thrilled she took the CEO job with every passing day.

18 Likes

Sure, but he’ll get a honking big tax writeoff out of it. He’ll be fine, but his investors won’t be happy.

4 Likes

Will he? I thought this was all part of X

2 Likes

Lots of small artists and marginalized communities found some place on Twitter though. Maybe someday we can have something actually nice for them. Not while things of value only exist for the rich to pillage and burn though (or in Musk’s case, burn first).

13 Likes

Journalists will be stuck with Twitter for another 2 days, then the Meta sucks-slightly-less-is-good-enough version drops July 6, with a suite of really top notch migration tools. And since Instagram is already corporate-approved, it’s pretty much zero friction to pick up there.

Zuckerburg has zero good ideas but the dude is absolutely ruthless at making money at other people’s. So there’s that.

9 Likes

The only winner here is the Saudi. I bet they’re laughing right now. They’re probably regret that why they didn’t do this sooner. Twitter had been the thorn on their side for the longest time. Throwing a few billions to destroy it is for sure cheaper than funding their secret police.

20 Likes

Or they trust him to fly it into the right building at the right time, metaphorically.

Musk could do a lot of damage with Twitter, at least in the short run, if he doesn’t care about the social, financial and legal consequences afterward.

15 Likes

She might not be happy, but she can’t honestly say she’s surprised.

17 Likes