Twitter's lawyers DOS'd by laid-off employees

Originally published at: Twitter's lawyers DOS'd by laid-off employees | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Friendly reminder the first thing Musk did when he started to run Twitter was fire most of it’s lawyers. The same guy who always seems to get in legal trouble including drawing the ire of the SEC for making the world’s most expensive 420 joke.

24 Likes

I’m not generally a big fan of the legal tactic of burying the opposition in discovery requests to force them to settle, but that’s because that’s usually the tactic of the big corporation trying to intimidate the person suing them. It’s kind of fun to see the shoe on the other foot.

37 Likes

The Lichten & Liss-Riordan firm has rejected the concept of a universal discovery plan. Instead, they are seeking to schedule cases on a case-by-case basis with hearing dates as soon as September 2023.

Turns out when you think you’re the smartest person in every room, you usually aren’t.

24 Likes

And the world’s most destructive 420 joke.

16 Likes

Was that the most expensive 420 joke, or was the purchase of twitter more expensive?

11 Likes

You’d think most people would realise that Musk is basically destroying the company, but…

18 Likes

SLAPP: Strategic Lawsuits Against Publicity-seeking Prat.

11 Likes

He can’t be the only one who wants to enrich themselves by destroying something, it’s the ultimate grift! people send trump and elon money every month, dude wants in on that action, it sounds easier than working to build something.

13 Likes

Agreed, the more time he’s spending dealing with lawsuits, the less time he has to rend the fabric of society.

7 Likes

Hey, the WHOLE point of mandatory arbitration was to prevent class-action suits.
But now that there are a lot of claims and they are expensive to handle one by one, they want to join them together as if they were a class-action suit?
No, thanks. Elon. You made your bed, now deal with them one by one

18 Likes

Whoever loses; the lawyers win.

@gracchus So the guy who is screwing up reddit is a Muskovite? Quelle surprise.

9 Likes

It always baffles me how so many “elites” (gag) feel they can do whatever they want as long as they have a cadre of lawyers.

1. lawyers are expensive
  2. lawyers are subjected to ethics laws and aren’t necessarily the allies their customers would like them to be
7 Likes

I don’t know, I’m expecting the reason he fired so many lawyers initially is because those were the ones who completed their mandatory ethics training. For every lawyer who didn’t pass the test, Musk was probably like “hey, I can work with this guy.”

7 Likes

There are many juicy benefits to the binding arbitration clauses for the employers and myriad other corporations that force them on their employees and their customers. The results of these cases are always confidential, eliminating the possibility of correcting abuses through public exposure. A company with several locations can make it runiously expensive to pursue an arbitration case by choosing an arbitration facility at their most remote physical site. And since the company imposing the arbitration also pays the arbitration costs, it is much more likely that cases will be decided on behalf of the defendant. It´s difficult to compare arbitration results to civil courts due to the confidentiality.
When arbitration was developed it was intended to be used to reduce the load of tort cases between corporations on more or less equal footing, including legal staff. The widespread use of arbitration forced on individuals is relatively recent and far more dubious.
Obviously, I still have trouble with the idea that we can sign away our constitutional right to due process. Is there anything in that revered document that suggests that we can waive away its protections?

3 Likes

That dumbfuck lone skum doesn’t even know enough to run up the stirrup irons after dismounting. What a schmuck.

2 Likes

The existence of the individual lawsuits don’t preclude a class action suit, either.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-20/twitter-employees-sue-company-over-refusal-to-pay-2022-bonuses

In other “how can Elon destroy Twitter” news…

3 Likes

Seems that this arbitration thing is something that American lawyers and companies are fond of. Sites in other countries don’t seem intent on taking away your right to your day in court.

My take is that it’s one of those corporate “the other companies are doing it, so we should too” things. I email legal @ whatever-company dot com a bunch, asking how to opt out and what I think of their arbitration and no-class-action provisions. I never hear back from them, even though their TOS/TOU invites me to. It’s probably because they don’t have answers for me.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.