Two chemistry professors, neither named Walter White, busted for allegedly brewing meth

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/18/two-chemistry-professors-neit.html

6 Likes

Life imitating art, I think.

4 Likes

Apparently they weren’t inspired enough to buy an RV and cook out the desert. I mean they failed to take into account the very first thing that Walter did in the show–realize that the reaction is stinky and will get you busted.

11 Likes

Except if you’re a halfway decent chem prof you have access to and know how to use a fume hood. Because cancer is serious shit so there are well understood lab methods to keep toxic fumes from escaping.

14 Likes

They may have the recipe down in the lab, but the on-screen chemistry just doesn’t work as well unless one of them is a 50something man caught in an existential crisis that sends him in a steep downward ethical spiral and the other is his former student struggling to cling to some semblance of his humanity.

13 Likes

You still have to remove the product from your chamber in the end, unless you’re smuggling it through your air filters.

And there are ways to accomplish that without release. Again, because cancer.

4 Likes

I wonder if the average meth cook lives long enough for cancer to be their number one concern, given the other hazards of the profession. Even Walter White didn’t end up going that way.

8 Likes

If they’re college professors then they wouldn’t be named Walter White, they’d be named Gale Boetticher.

6 Likes

i can honestly see a situation where two super-nerdy professors decide to try and make meth like on the show just to SEE if it was actually possible, not even considering the legality standpoint.

6 Likes

Being from Arkansas, my takeaway from this is that the quality of the meth cooks is improving.

3 Likes

benzyl chloride isn’t just a meth precursor. It’s a precursor to many different things.

3 Likes

SPUN

2 Likes

Well, in these doofus’ defense, there is no desert within a convenient distance of Arkansas.

2 Likes

Turns out the cops are the ones who knock.

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for some piece of evidence that links them directly to meth production.
benzyl chloride is not specific to meth production
drug paraphernalia can mean a great many things, not all of which are illegal.

1 Like

And you can never be sure how uninhabited mountains or empty wilderness are. They lack the inherent flat sight lines and hostility to human life a desert has.

1 Like

I am sure people in South Dakota will be pleased about improvements with the product

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.