Two racist cops who tortured black men jailed for 20 and 17 1/2 years. Four more are yet to be sentenced

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/20/two-racist-cops-who-tortured-black-men-jailed-for-20-and-17-1-2-years-four-more-are-yet-to-be-sentenced.html

8 Likes

Two down… 709,999 to go (by 2022 numbers).

8 Likes

I agree with that 100%. There is no possible scenario in which the sheriff’s department wasn’t aware of what was going on. This wasn’t a rogue “Goon Squad” operating in secret within the department. It was the enforcement branch of an organized crime outfit masquerading as a sheriff’s department. And this problem isn’t confined to rural Mississippi. LA has the same problem, and on a much bigger scale.

27 Likes

They’d probably still be doing it if one of them hadn’t drawn attention to their activities by “accidentally” shooting one of their victims.

In his apology, the shooter apparently said that if he could go back in time he would go back “to seven years ago, to the first time I saw this behavior.” The choice of the word “saw” is not accidental, because it puts him in the role of the onloooker rather than the agent. Even when apologizing, it seems that cops can’t help using what has been called “the exonerative tense”.

16 Likes

We often talk of the problems of the carceral state, but these sentences means these extremely committed and organized racist, rapist, would-be killer cops will most likely be free again to pursue their interests and I’m afraid that’s unacceptable

That is assuming they survive prison. Former cops that get locked up often don’t.

2 Likes

It always goes to the top.

IMG_1124

4 Likes

Re the above, BBers… read my mind. Yep. That’s right. And that’s all I’ll say on the matter.

Obviously, it’s good that he said that… although he also used the opportunity to rationalize his son’s role in the matter: He needed the overtime pay.

He decided to be a bloody sadistic monster when he had the choice to not be a bloody sadistic monster.

1 Like

All I’m saying is that these 6 did not just do this completely on their own without the awareness or tacit approval of the organizations for which the worked. They are absolutely guilty, but they are not the only guilty parties. This is like convicting a hitman of murder and not charging the person who hired them.

2 Likes

Sheriff’s Deputy Christian Dedmon was sentenced to 40 years in prison this morning. 29 years old and has completely ruined his life.

1 Like

No argument there, hence “Obviously, it’s good that he said that…”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.