Six white Mississippi police officers who enjoyed sexually torturing two Black men and shot one in the mouth plead guilty

Originally published at: Six white Mississippi police officers who enjoyed sexually torturing two Black men and shot one in the mouth plead guilty | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Shooting a man in the mouth was just the warm-up?? Christ.

19 Likes

19 Likes

Domestic terrorists. All of them.

25 Likes

Cops: We are the thin blue line between order and chaos. We are allowed to do whatever it takes to uphold law and order.

Also cops: If anyone finds out what we’ve done, we are completely fucked. Let’s cover it up and murder anybody who rats on us.

12 Likes

The Police Benevolent Association was presumably nodding along right up until the cop killer stage of the plan.

15 Likes

Welp, let’s see, Mississippi prison populations are 62% Black so… good luck boys!

7 Likes

Sadly I’m not surprised or shocked at the atrocities committed. What does astound me is the six officers involved thought they wouldn’t get caught. Maybe they can swear each other to secrecy but goddamn… we have social media, traditional media, civil rights groups, and the rest of the local/state/federal justice system willing to listen to victims, at least when cops go this far out of line.

You mean to tell me at no point during the whole ordeal they didn’t think “hey, uh, we really fucked up. These guys might tell someone.”

…probably a good thing they didn’t or they wouldn’t be alive.

9 Likes

Nope. Snitches get stitches. The Police Benevolent Association supports cops murdering cops who report misconduct.

Look it up. Police unions consistently behave this way.

15 Likes

Here’s hoping the victims take every single goddamn thing these thugs own in a civil suit.

15 Likes

“Never been caught before.” Is a pretty compelling mindset.

12 Likes

Throw away the key.

9 Likes

80 years, a century there, and after awhile you’re talking real hard time.

6 Likes

It’s stuff like this that always astounds me with the “back the blue” folks about the importance of supporting the police.
Even if you think that, on the whole, most police officers were fundamentally decent people… wouldn’t you be a little worried about all the cases like this? It’s not like any other career ends up with “Let’s take that guy, put a saddle on him, ride him through a tub of butter…” etc etc etc.
This shit is beyond the pale and it just. keeps. happening.

13 Likes

Sorry… what year is it???
I mean it’s disgusting at any time, but I’d expect this to be a thing that happened in 1923 not 2023…

3 Likes

jebus. seeing as SO many people “back the blue” i imagine there had to be more than just testimony??

3 Likes

… well, they didn’t get caught any of the previous times they did the same thing, did they :thinking:

6 Likes

Put these fuckers in GP in some hellhole state prison.
According to the linked article:

Dedmon, Elward and Opdyke also pleaded guilty to three federal felony offenses for a separate incident on Dec. 4. Prosecutors said Dedmon beat a white man, used a Taser on him and fired a gun near his head to coerce a confession, while Elward and Opdyke failed to intervene.

From the linked article:
The victims, Michael Corey Jenkins and Eddie Terrell Parker, filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against Rankin County in June seeking $400 million in damages.

Doesn’t mean they will get that much, or even win, but we shall see.

RICO the bastards & sue 'em all out of existence.
Cops can join the same union as the rest of the employees.

The DOJ needs to enact and enforce a nationwide database of bad cops, so they can’t hop from department to department.
These are the last people on earth that should be trusted with weapons.

12 Likes

120 years plus life in prison

Yeah, I guess that’s a sufficient sentence.

But cops do this shit all the time, and always have done, and even today, most of the time, even if “caught,” they don’t face consequences. These particular cops had been on a rampage for (at least) four years, during which time they’re known to have killed two people, and they got away with all of it until now. The system privileges the police narrative so highly that even in the face of damning evidence, they still can get away with it, never mind when they destroy the physical evidence and back each other’s stories.

Especially after years (generations) where you do get caught and there are still no consequences.

15 Likes

I wish outlets printed possible criminal sentences better. I know sentencing guidelines aren’t obvious, but realistic estimates are possible. And the AP, for example, just adds the top line numbers up, combining them in ways the guidelines don’t allow. Which makes their articles uniformly and wildly wrong.

3 Likes