U-Bounty: The World's First Bounty Hunting Gig App

Yep, that’s the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the headline. When I saw it on the show, I thought it wouldn’t be long until someone actually made it happen. And here we are…

2 Likes

Fortunately, although specifics vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, bounty hunting requires licensure.

On the other hand, it being illegal hasn’t stopped Uber or Airbnb.

I almost † want some techbro to try this just to see them get hauled into court for commissioning crimes à la Silk Road’s Ross William Ulbricht (AKA Dread Pirate Roberts).

† But it’s not worth the risk someone would get injured or killed.

5 Likes

That is an old cliche in the mafia and gangster films as well. Bringing in “heavy hitters from out of town”.

3 Likes

It’s algorithmic terrorism.

5 Likes

So basically Big Shots with extra steps?

10 Likes

Again, still satire (for now). But the kind of “only a matter of time before it’s not satire anymore” gag you’d see in a Paul Verhoeven movie.

7 Likes

I liked the “break-in / terrorize / assault THEN scan to properly identify” paradigm they used. Very gun-whoa. Very consequence insulating.

I just see a ripping brothers reference where they give the incorrectly assaulted person 5$ as compensation, then send them on their way.

1 Like

Sounds a lot like the fact-totem from Sinister Dexter.

(might be addressing a limited crowd here)

1 Like

came for this!
“Shucks, Howdy!”

cowboy bebop GIF

5 Likes

The only real requirements in most jurisdictions to become a bounty-hunter are bureaucratic. It’s filling out forms and paying fees, that’s about it.

The Taylor v. Taintor Supreme Court case from 1872 is the basic framework for most state regulations, even though there are no real precedential values provided by SCOTUS in that ruling.

I’m guessing this video was produced in an effort to shed light on how ridiculously easy it is to start work in the field after they saw Westworld’s version and to spread the idea that “if you think cops are bad and get away with all kinds of BS, just wait til everyone gets a load of THIS!”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.