U.K. Prime Minister Liz Truss resigns

And to think the toffs in England look down on a place like Greece for its “instability”!

12 Likes

6 Minchers, or 15840 Rosenoirs

/obscure-football-manager-joke

10 Likes

Scaramucci was out before he even started officially.

7 Likes

“I have therefore spoken to His Majesty the King”

Is he King if he hasn’t been crowned yet?

4 Likes

Yes.

16 Likes

Yes, he’s king instantly as soon as the queen died.

14 Likes
14 Likes

“The Throne is never vacant.”

11 Likes

The head wearing the crown has no such guarantees.

11 Likes
33 Likes

28 Likes

– (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

29 Likes

Which I don’t understand, but appreciate the form!

1 Like

What’s the point? Cutting taxes on the wealthy and corporations has always been the ONLY policy that the Tory Party has EVER had. Whoever the next Tory PM is, they’re just going to try a variant on it again. They suffer under the delusion that it worked under Thatcher, and are trying to turn back the clock to a golden era that NEVER EXISTED.

9 Likes

Much as it will piss the living shit out of me to see Keir Starmer elected by default, the Tories scraping yet another unelected rotting fish head out of the trash is just obscene.

Not that I have any say in it, of course. But if they seriously try to prop up a government without an election, the narrative is going to turn against them in a way not even the right-wing press (i.e. the press) could prevent. And they won’t want to prevent it. For most Tory MPs, losing their jobs now is the best outcome they can hope for.

I interpret Liz Truss’s failure to announce an election herself as a sign that the Tories are still not even minimally functional, and that their plan to find a unifying replacement is itself going to turn into another dumpster fire.

Because I don’t see any of those power-crazed fucks volunteering to lead the party to a landslide defeat next month. But if they think it’s a brief to actually run the country for two years, then £5* says it turns into an actual contest. Which would drive the public clinically insane, and could end up being decided by the same cesspit of ancient turds that just gave us Truss.

* about $3.50

10 Likes

Apparently “Big Sam” has been trending on Twitter this afternoon.

1 Like

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

5 Likes

Did you mistype TERF, if not then what is a TER? Google is failing me here.

3 Likes

Some people complain that x isn’t a feminist, therefore they aren’t a TERF. I dropped the F and used TER for Transgender Exclusionary Reactionary, but as they have become more fascist over the last few years Transgender Eliminationist Reactionary is a more accurate backronym.

26 Likes

It’s the same thing but recognizing they are actually not at all feminists. (The F could work for fascist though).

Edit: Oops, sorry to have doubled, @the_borderer. :flushed:

15 Likes