"U.S.A." music video, by Da Pump, is all the rage in Japan

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/04/u-s-a-music-video-by-da.html

3 Likes

Because whether it’s tongue-in-cheek or not, either way, it’s absurdly awesome? C’mon baby, America!

4 Likes

According to this article, the song’s success is down to a mixture of so bad it’s good and nostalgia for a time when America was cool.

P.S.

4 Likes

Hey guys, you ever see that really old movie where they listened to radios?

2 Likes

They seem kind of old to be in a boy band.

They’ve been around since 1996, but only one original member is left.

3 Likes

I knew it would pay off not to learn Japanese.

5 Likes

having only been to japan once it seems their embrace of american pop themes has been enduring. the creative process combined with the bliss of dancing youth has always befuddled the conformed. stop thinking so much it will hurt, aka turn the channel

YOU, ese!
YOU, ese!
YOU, ese!

3 Likes

Ketchup, mayonnaise? Or am I hearing things?

1 Like

Because Disco did not die, it just emigrated to Japan, where it had many love children including this one.

1 Like

Awwwww. It faded out before the end.

As goofy as that was, I was enjoying it. Especially the lyrics, and what must be called the “speed hitchhiker” dance move.

Wasn’t that back in the ’50s when America was great before/again? You know, back when we had just finished winning the latest war against the fascists?

That song is just a sped-up version of “Two of Hearts” by Susie Q.

1 Like

So… they want us to make America great again?

Ducktails and FM. Our gifts to the rest of the world.

1 Like

Not the first time Boy Band humor has been used to great effect (while being misunderstood in the West):

1 Like

Meh - its catchy I guess. Why not?

Sorry, it’s called the Shoot Dance.

It’s in Fortnite even

If this doesn’t make America great again, I don’t know what will.

From what I can see from both videos you’ve linked, the fist is closed.

Da Pump is speed waving with their thumbs out as though they are trying to catch a ride on the busiest freeway in America…

I’m not saying you are wrong about the name of the dance move – I know fuck-all about these things – just that in my world it’s called the “speed hitchhiker” and Trump is no longer president.

Also, the more times I watch this, the more I like it.