U.S. Air Force not keen to explain why it fired a Colonel and five others at nuclear base

Originally published at: U.S. Air Force not keen to explain why it fired a Colonel and five others at nuclear base | Boing Boing

9 Likes

If it was anything serious I’m sure I wouldn’t be hearing about it, so I’m just going to assume they were selling each other drugs, banging, or selling each other drugs to use while they were banging. WHICH DISGUSTS ME

9 Likes

somehow i do not think the press is going to let this go, despite what the USAF wants. and honestly, i would be interested to know why a couple of career officers and their subordinates were fired from a pretty critical job.

11 Likes

Minot seemingly has a history of scandals where top brass get fired:

8 Likes

Yeah, “fired” isn’t really a thing in the military. You can be reassigned, you can be Court Martialled (which for grievous offenses often keeps you in the military, but assigned to Leavenworth), you can be discharged, but “fired” isn’t how things are handled. I suspect you’re right in that this is probably related to behavior or lax discipline and not some nefarious espionage issue. They’re probably now assigned to some boring-ass quartermaster pencil-pusher job with no possibility of advancement.

ETA: “relieved of duty” is the line I’m seeing in more military-focused blogs.

21 Likes

Given the current climate, am I wrong to assume some of them were being Nazis?

15 Likes

That would be fantastic, actually. Not that they’re Nazis, but that they actually did something about it. I had numerous commanders with visible white supremacist tattoos all over them who were some of the most rewarded people I interacted with.

20 Likes

I just assume they refused to turn the key during a simulation

11 Likes

Previously

8 Likes

Plenty of scandals to go around when it comes to the folks entrusted with handling nuclear weapons.

10 Likes

That’s where they were to begin with!

Ok, I kid, but it’s good to note that these are not people who are involved (directly) in launching nuclear weapons.

12 Likes

Is it balloons?

9 Likes

What else would you do to pass the time whilst waiting for nuclear war?

5 Likes

Nuclear Nazis? Atomic Antisemites? Fission Fascists?

6 Likes

bodily fluids?

17 Likes

It’s probably something mundane like a sex scandal.

2 Likes

Did he insist on playing the guitars:

3 Likes

Although bad behaviour and lax discipline are often how you wind up with nefarious espionage issues.

5 Likes

They told the TRUTH about the aliens.
scully mulder GIF by The X-Files

ETA: Or, to enlarge on bobtato’s speculations, they were banging aliens, buying and or selling drugs to or from aliens, and/or trading drugs for alien sex.

2 Likes

Perhaps carcinogens were found at Minot.

OTOH

Their names were withheld “to protect the privacy of the individuals” in the initial statement but later released. The Pentagon services typically release the names of commanders when announcing reliefs for cause.

Standard Operating procedure in the case of all dismissals, or an attempt to cover up salacious rumors?

1 Like