U.S. budget deficit now $739 Billion, despite GOP promises and Trump tariffs

Oh hang on… I think I remember what we’re all supposed to say here; uh… it’s…

“fake news”

… amirite?

Along with “fake math” and “fake reporting” when really, the part that’s the most fake about Cult45’s grift-a-thon is a tiebreaker between 45’s claim of adhering to Christianity and his vast financial empire.
/s

2 Likes

“The democrats are in control of the House, so I’m pretty sure it’s their fault” will be the campaign slogan by Trump.

It always amazes me that Republicans get away with calling Democrats “tax and spend liberals” when they are pretty much “spend and spend more” conservatives.

3 Likes

I was trying to sort out the implication of illustrating this with a National Bank Note rather than a Federal Reserve Note.

See even Republicans love Modern Monetary Policy. Now if we could get them to spend the money on healthcare instead missiles…

And not only that, when we have a Democratic president, s/he will actually responsibly take steps towards acting on the debt (cf. Bill Clinton).

It seems to me, as a lay person, that you can (indeed, must) deficit spend during a recession economy to both stimulate the economy and prevent a deeper depression.

But the flip side of that is that during a boom economy, you can (indeed must) have slightly higher taxes (to make up for the previous recession spending). And, because, otherwise, just when do you pay off the deficits?? But with Republicans, they see a boom economy and say “Wow! Look at all this free money coming in!”

You mean its just a “lucky” unforeseen accident that Clinton’s budget was actually a surplus and Reagan’s, Bush43’s, Trump’s budget have “unlucky” $500-$800 billion deficits? It’s because Clinton raised taxes (and selectively cut services) instead of cutting taxes (and increasing defense spending).

1 Like

Eh, not sure I see it. I think the deficit was on his mind, but mostly he lucked out happening to be president during a new industrial revolution in productivity. Could keep interest rates low without inflation, keep the boom going enough where hard choices in spending could be avoided. Next prez is going to have a lot less wiggle room, and I don’t exactly hear any D candidates making an issue of it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.