U.S. government now caging asylum seekers under the international bridge in El Paso, Texas

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/28/u-s-government-now-caging-asy.html

4 Likes

They did the same thing in the 1980s when Castro sent Cuban refugees to Miami.

First conservatives make Gordon Gecko the hero of “Wall Street”, and now they’re taking policy tips from “Children of Men”.

11 Likes

This is white nationalism.

9 Likes

Trump: “It’s a very effective way of doing it, and I wouldn’t want to do it.”

This is seriously concerning/terrifying. He is a man who has no trouble saying he wouldn’t want to do something, who then later turns around and does it, and then says he didn’t do it.

I’m thinking he was supposed to say “ineffective”, but what’s really in his dark heart oozed through. I just hope there are enough people left in the armed forces who would not follow that command when he gives it.

6 Likes

Yep.

This is America.

13 Likes

Please remember, the piece of shit in the White House is not our President. Get out there and register voters, it’s our only option. The one thing that scares the hell out’a the TGOP, VOTERS!

14 Likes

the photo they said should have been the main one - what does that look like to a typical Trump supporter though.
Two brown people in prison and one of them is a scary terrorist because facial cover.

Welcome @Jaffa. No barbed wire here.

7 Likes

But we do have flags.

11 Likes

And snark and ridicule, in spades.

11 Likes

Watching my way through these videos, and this one seems especially pertinent:

9 Likes

Now that we know what our concentration camps look like, what do we do next?

5 Likes

Can we skip over all the mass murder and torture, and just jump straight to the orange Fuhrer killing himself in a bunker?

10 Likes

When we said “Bridges not Walls” this was not what we meant.

11 Likes

Except those people were eventually processed for citizenship. The intention was to integrate them into the country back then.

There is no intention of doing that here. The point of this treatment is to abuse people and coerce them into waiving their asylum rights. This is the same reason they were locking up children into concentration camps. Trump and his supporters are garbage

7 Likes

Sue the ever living phuq out of the government or contribute to those who will.

1 Like

I hate to be a defeatist, but this doesn’t seem like something that can be resolved in court. For one, it moves too slowly, and for another, SCOTUS is now Trump-heavy. Also, while it snails its way through the system, people will be suffering and dying. This may require more of a “hands on” approach, if we would like to avoid becoming the staging ground for the 4th Reich.

In my first comment, I wanted point out that Trump lacks a moral compass, but couldn’t quite put into words what I felt like he has in its place. It came to me this morning. He has a moral fidget-spinner.

3 Likes

Its really the only option available that does not involve a mob with torches and pitchforks overruning the camp in the middle of the night.

6 Likes