Trump White House releases new numbers on migrant kids it separated from parents

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/16/trump-white-house-releases-new.html

4 Likes

If this is what they’re willing to tell the public, then reality is inevitably so much worse.

22 Likes

Should’ve gone with the turd sandwich.

2 Likes

This was my first thought.

It’s the same principle as work meetings. If it’s scheduled for 1 hour, it’s going to drag out to 2 hours. If there are 500ish kids still disconnected, there are definitely more not being reported because someone completely lacking in perspective wanted to make the terrible numbers seem less “bad.”

10 Likes

Why specify Trump White House. What other White House could it be?

2 Likes

We’re talking about parents who were so desperate to protect their children that they crossed half a continent—sometimes by foot—to seek asylum here. It seems highly unlikely at best that these parents would just shrug and leave them behind now.

7 Likes

And it’s only been a short while since this started…imagine the madness a year from now.

2 Likes

Hey, but I notice over 90% of those kids are over the age of 5 - in other words, violent thugs.

/s

3 Likes

6 Likes

Coercion. Dark patterns. Threatening people into signing agreements that they lack the education or fluency in English to understand. In short, ICE is now in the business of mass kidnapping.

To the extent that any of this shitshow was planned, or had any actual thought behind it, I expect they were thinking that all they had to do was re open the Indian residential school system, only for latinx kids, and in ten or fifteen years the kids who survived the experience would make nice, well behaved, submissive little servants for the upper classes.

13 Likes

I never manage to get too far into longer articles about this now, because I start having rage strokes and then I’m all
real-humans-crazy_blink

I don’t know if I should be relieved or worried that they didn’t say, “All the children are totally alive, too!” If they didn’t say it, it might be because it’s not true, but if they do say it, it might be because they’re trying to hide the fact that it’s not true.

Yeah, they’ll have massaged the numbers so that they can exclude as many as possible on technicalities, I’m sure.

Older kids who might be left in the US to be cared for by other family members, I can see that, especially if parents feel like that’s the safer option. But younger kids? Yeah, no fucking way.

Put very, very accurately. People should go to jail for planning and executing this.

5 Likes

Only way I can think that this would happen is if they were lied to and told this could help ensure citizenship for their children.

3 Likes

Youtube: Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next

3 Likes

Initially at least the Trump administration claimed this wasn’t a new policy, but a continuation from previous administrations with stricter enforcement. Seems valuable to me to continue making sure as many people as possible know that that isn’t true.

3 Likes

Remember: People are not being detained illegally if they are still in transit, which, according to certain mad laws, allows for up to 24 hour rest stops.
And there is no limit on how long transit times can take.

3 Likes

Wishful thinking on my part that ICE agents were separated from their own children, but I fear the reality would be that they still wouldn’t understand. These people are modern-day citizen-Kapos.

4 Likes

It’s all about branding and ownership.

Image result for trump tower

2 Likes

Actually, I have no problem believing that after doing all that a few of the parents would make the heartbreaking decision to leave their kids here rather than bring them back to be inducted into the gangs that they were trying to keep them out of. Probably not as many as were fooled into signing papers but still, I’m sure that it has happened.

1 Like

That one, when you look inside, is way less offensive as to what you find vs the 1600 Pennsylvania address.

1 Like

Oh gods. I wonder how many other dodges and loopholes they’re taking advantage of…

2 Likes