Migrant parents are refusing to be reunited with their kids, citing safety concerns

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/10/migrant-parents-are-refusing-t.html

7 Likes

Of the 300 parents that Gelernt spoke to, roughly two-thirds preferred to let their kids take their chances in the United States where they’d have a greater expectation of safety and prosperity.

tumblr_peo2gmzEer1vfmb0jo1_540

8 Likes

I don’t think it’s fair to link the kid from Deliverance in with these people. We have no idea what his motives are.

5 Likes

Banjo music is compulsory with this crowd. But, my apologies.

2 Likes

This painting must be an antique: no mention of “Q” (or conspiracy theory for extreme dummies)

This is 900 degrees of F-ed up.

Even with the abject hatred they’re facing, these parents are gambling on their kids having a better chance at a good life, even if they’re not there to guide or live it with them.

This is the sort of love and sacrifice that an orange colored shitweasel with a golden toilet could never even be able to fathom.

9 Likes

Am I the only one who is trying not judge this through the lens of “We have one precious child at the age of 35” culture? I am old enough to remember some of my grandmother’s 14 siblings, and though there was love there, there was also this awkward sense of less importance. One died at 5ish from a flame from a trash barrel catching her dress on fire. Another fell down the stairs and broke his neck. There was sadness, but there wasn’t the chest beating wailing, they were too poor to stop working and mourn.

It is fucked up, but the impact on these parents may be one more of hope and relief than sadness.

1 Like

He was out in the light and air while they were being sucked down to death,
and they were down there because he was up here. He knew it and they knew
it, and he could see the knowledge in their faces. There was no reproach
either in their faces or in their hearts, only the knowledge that they
must die in order that he might remain alive, and that this was part of
the unavoidable order of things.

(1984)

Banjo music? Really? That’s what you associate with these people? Wow, for someone that has a problem with clearly narrow-minded people, that is an awfully narrow-minded viewpoint.

1 Like

I like banjo music. It’s the inbreeding (translation: “racial purity”) and cognitive impairment (translation: “salt-of-the-Earth Real Americans™”) that I associate with that crowd.

5 Likes

You do know that the banjo is an african instrument? Ain’t nothing wrong with a little banjo…

4 Likes

And so is breathing, yet neither are exclusive to this particular demographic. Associating the banjo with dumb, backwards folk is a lazy, incorrect and outdated stereotype.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.