U.S. Navy tests a new laser weapon system [VIDEO]

Please do not stare into laser beam with your remaining good eye.”

7 Likes

Truly through the looking glass.

(At least they don’t have to do a second harmonic; that’s when shit gets real.) :wink:

1 Like

Eureka

3 Likes

Sparkly!

“Oh look, the daffodils are here, must be Spring!”

Or

“The Death Ray is not intense enough!”

Samesies, right?

6 Likes

“Do ya wanna see how cool you look in front of a Laser Cannon™?”

4 Likes

Lasers are perfect for high speed, highly manoeuvrable drones, missiles, aircraft; they’re far less effective against shipping, partly because they’re much more heavily built, and would absorb large amounts of energy before any significant damage was done, but also because ship-to-ship engagements can take place at significant distances where the earth’s curvature can start to affect aiming - ship cannon can have effective ranges of twenty to thirty miles, if not more.
Of course, an energy weapon like this would have a devastating effect on personnel on a target ship at closer ranges, particularly on the command deck, which I’m sure has never occurred to those developing these devices…

3 Likes

13 Likes

You are not allowed to have laser weapons intended to blind people, just as you are not allowed to use phosphorous to intentionally incinerate people. Using a laser guided missiles is fine, even if the laser is powerful enough to blind, and using phosphorous in smoke grenades is fine, even if it incinerates people. Treaties are funny that way.

7 Likes

I, for one, welcome the return of our Martian Overlords.

U-la!!

6 Likes

With a laser like that…

2 Likes

ezgif.com-optimize

6 Likes

War is stupid.

8 Likes

Or maybe we’ll save time and violate the treaty.

1 Like

Why not both? That way everybody suffers.

2 Likes

/an excerpt from “My Time On The Death Star: The SteveCO story”

Come now, we wouldn’t want to be uncouth!

2 Likes

Fixed.

2 Likes

The closest one listed in GURPS Ultra-Tech is probably the TL 9 Point Defense Laser, so that would be 3dx5(2) burn.

2 Likes

Ah, so the advantage is then faster focus/aiming not “hit a projectile with another projectile” then.

Makes sense then I guess as long as we insist on lobbing projectiles at one another.

2 Likes