U.S. passports are worthless — "Welcome to the Plague States of America"

You’ll still be welcome in New Zealand, but not for a couple of years.
The world now looks at Americans as unhygienic, arrogant, willfully ignorant, science hating, magical thinking, untrustworthy, selfish rule-breakers.
is not actually true.
We think your government is bit bit on the mad side, but you guys are alright.

10 Likes

It’s not as if international travel is a good idea these days in any case, even if we had the shiniest passports in the world.

4 Likes

Sounds like the part of Japan where my in-laws live. Narrow roads, stone and concrete walls everywhere, twisty, canal close and the driving on the left side. I am always scared to ride in the front passenger seat with my father in law.

3 Likes

A sentiment now shared by the vast majority of Canadians, on both ends of the political spectrum. Even Doug Ford thinks we should keep the border closed.

18 Likes

I realize I’m probably in the small minority here (and definitely among my fellow danes), but I would gladly trade my DK passport for a US one, even if it’s the third best in the world. Lived there for 5 years over a decade ago and I miss it every day.

1 Like

I have taken to using mine when I buy hooch.

Many cashier’s haven’t seen one before.

4 Likes

Marital status is largely irrelevant for visa purposes in NZ. It’s also largely irrelevant for most other purposes too.

People still seem to do it a fair bit, but not for legal reasons.

3 Likes

We did, but it’s only now that America has realised what we’ve been thinking of you all along.
Blinders perhaps?
How do I put this, we do love you, but right now y’all a mess.

7 Likes

Some - quite a large number it seems from the anti-mask and anti-BLM vocal protests - are not.

1 Like

The EU is considering the US a “reservoir” of Covid19 so restrictions might stay in place for a while, despite of the absolute numbers of infections and deaths.

The failure to establish some sort of coordinated response via the federal government will be very costly in the long term

I now pretty much doubt the US is capable to control the spread of the virus, any local success is immediately made useless by cross infection from the surrounding areas. This will go on until the virus runs its course.

The only difference between the current situation and the spanish flu event is that medical science has improved a hell of a lot and there is more of it available to the public

3 Likes

Not sure what that means. In the absence of a vaccine (and even then, given anti-vaxxers’ fuckwittery) it will not ‘run its course’ any more than any other coronavirus (e.g. the common cold).

Indeed, yesterday I was reading that immunity (antibodies) is measured in months, just like a cold.

This may really be the ‘new normal’, to use a now becoming hackneyed term.

2 Likes

Nah, only the MAGAs are that self deluded.

@RawBacon1: I’ll take you up on that trade whenever it’s possible to do so.

3 Likes

You did well, that image is far better than the intended one.

5 Likes

He’s still correct. 93 million Americans is a lot of Americans, but this is a huge country. It works out to just over a quarter of all US citizens. So most of us don’t travel outside the US, and most of us can’t. Most Americans are blue collar workers, if that, living paycheck to paycheck, whose jobs don’t allow them to travel overseas and who certainly wouldn’t travel overseas on their own money. And now we’re all stuck here as the covid cases continue to rise with no peak in sight.

3 Likes

Ecstasy?

User name checks out.

8 Likes

I think you forgot about us in the expat community, who are also caught in the travel ban. I haven’t returned to the US since President Biff was elected, but I will still be treated like a pariah. It’s not a question of time or money, it’s a simple fact that I live and work overseas.

But hey, you are right, it isn’t most Americans, merely a significant amount of Americans.

5 Likes

Americans miss it as well, my bacon-ey friend.

12 Likes

The world now looks at Americans as unhygienic, arrogant, willfully ignorant, science hating, magical thinking, untrustworthy, selfish rule-breakers.

Aww, come on. Some of you are alright!

Latest I’ve seen is that Ireland has to take its own passport holders but quarantines them for 14 days - so me and my kids are dual citizens and can definitely return regardless of changes to future policy towards the US. My wife ends up being a scene from the Handmaid’s Tale… except that being a civilized country they will almost definitely give her a visa also. We have American friends who moved to Cork last year working for FB who are now able to travel through Europe since they have Irish residency (she can just never come back here…)

Unfortunately the wait time on Irish passports - assuming you can get your grandparent’s long form birth cert - is now about a year, because of Brexit… me and a friend were joking about the poor Orangeman who needs a EU passport and is cursing as he applies to be an Irish citizen.

4 Likes

Realistically, what can I do about this?

I get why we have this image, and I feel like despite having a large amount of privilege, I have zero ability to fix this. Voting sure as hell hasn’t worked. I don’t have enough money to cause real change against billionaires and centuries of history. Terrorism rarely works and I’m not ethically there anyway.

So, really, do we just wait this out I apologize to my poor young kid for bringing her into a failed state?

I… may need to avoid the news and social media for a few days. :frowning:

1 Like