Uber’s diversity officer on leave after hosting events defending Karen’s right to Karen

Originally published at: Uber's diversity officer on leave after hosting events defending Karen's right to Karen | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I guess they’re going to cancel next week’s “Why is everyone so mean to straight white men?” event now, huh?

11 Likes

Won’t someone please think about the plight of the white!?

/s
I hope obviously

10 Likes

Like Saturn, the Revolution devours its children.

5 Likes

Sure Jan GIF

12 Likes

it’s not obnoxiousness. it’s racism. the article provides evidence from quotes of the employees about the event which lee put on. the snippet in the post above more than captures it

7 Likes

Please read again:

The invitation reportedly said the event would host an “open and honest conversation about race” and be a time to dig into “the spectrum of the American white woman’s experience.”

7 Likes

Things only white people say, for $500.

14 Likes

But workers, according to the Times’ report, said in Slack messages that the conversation felt like a lecture about white women’s struggles and minimized the reasons that people find “Karen” behavior objectionable in the first place.

If you’re not acknowledging that a toxic behaviour exists you’re effectively permitting it.

10 Likes

10 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

That sounds precisely what she was doing there… defending “Karens”…

10 Likes

as soon as i’m called in to court, i shall do so. my time is top dollar you know.

but here’s a freebie, the reactions of people of color on the staff is the point.

14 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

13 Likes

I guess because they know they haven’t been open and honest generally!

9 Likes

That painterly style reminds me of Edward Hopper, is it called “The Trolley Problem”?

11 Likes

Right!? We really cannot talk about the misogynistic applications of “Karen” as a way to demean literally any female authority figure if we aren’t going to talk about how that is still a position of power… And one which can have lethal consequences when it comes to the police. White women’s fear and anger kills.

It needs to be ok to criticize bad behavior in white women. One group of people identifies women who have managerial jobs or short haircuts as bad women. Another group identifies women who get innocent people killed as bad women.

If those two groups feel tit for tat for you though please think about it more :pray:

10 Likes

That’s a good name for it as any.

Just an AI “sea lion next to a gas lantern” and I picked what I thought looked best.

6 Likes

Someone must be disappointed enough in BB to add their name to the list

6 Likes

See also TERFs. “Don’t call them anti-trans bigots, they’re feminists!” is an on-going defense of their toxic behaviour.

4 Likes

In fairness to the Uber DEI exec, it was an event held during Karen American History month!