UC Davis Chancellor spent $400K+ to scrub her online reputation after pepper-spray incident

When you think the rules don’t apply to you and you don’t learn from your mistakes…this happens. She did this to herself.

2 Likes

It’s just like it says on her wikipedia page"

“Katehi has also shared her experience of being a student at the National Technical University of Athens during that school’s student uprisings against the Greek dictatorial regime that were violently crushed by a combined military and police force on November 17, 1973”

She didn’t have the ability to call in military assistance to crush the student uprising; but the story is never quite as vivid in the retelling.

9 Likes

At first I thought that was a huge lollipop right next to his mouth. It just looked right, too. I think I need to sleep…

6 Likes

She walks into an office of a reputation manager, and they say Linda, the usual?

4 Likes

I too am impressed with UC Davis Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi. Maintaining the reputation of a high profile person such as UC Davis Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi in the face of the pepper spray incident at UC Davis where peaceful protestors were sprayed with pepper spray at UC Davis is an admirable endevour. UC Davis Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi pepper spray protestor incident.

12 Likes

Allow me to translate:
Katehi’s side: "There’s nothing they can actually prosecute her for."
UC’s side: "Maybe so, but she’s now cost us enough it will be cheaper to buy her out."
Napolitano: “HULK SMASH!”

P.S. Seen the news about UC Berkeley’s Chancellor?

6 Likes

Not entirely. She remains a tenured senior faculty member at UCD. Eased out as Chancellor, but still very much connected to teh UC money umbilicus & all honors and emoluments thereof behoof.

3 Likes

In all fairness this is still a drop in the bucket compared to how much money is wasted on incompetent top executives in the private sector. Roger Ailes just made off with a $40 million severance package.

13 Likes

It doesn’t seem to have worked that well.

[UC President Janet Napolitano] “These past three months and the events leading up to them have been an unhappy chapter in the life of UC Davis. I believe it is in the best interest of the campus, the Davis community, and the University of California that we move forward.”

Yes, Janet, I’m sure that you would like to move forward, before people think too long about what it says about your competence and/or ethics that you didn’t sack her five years ago, and again didn’t sack her a couple years ago when it came out that she had misappropriated public funds to try to cover up the shit you should have sacked her for five years ago.

10 Likes

She successfully wasted the time of numerous volunteer editors.

6 Likes

Katehi refuses to turn over cellphone, iPad, laptop to UC investigators

““This is standard in every investigation,” said Dianne Klein, spokeswoman for the University of California.”

“If the Office of the President is trying to deny her right to private and confidential communications, they are in for a major fight from us,” [Katehi spokesman Larry Kamer] said."

On my work-issued laptop, it is made abundantly clear every time I log in that my employer owns everything on that laptop and can inspect it at any time. I guess the rules are different when you’re not little people.

9 Likes

This is kind of a grey area in academics, for a variety of reasons. I kind of hope she gets her way, since then it will be a precedent faculty will be able to cite.

Since nobody believes she has committed any crimes, “merely” abused authority and sidestepped policy (just like every university chief operating officer everywhere), and since the evidence for all that is not hidden, I’m not sure what anyone hopes to gain from combing through her communications other than the pleasure of harassing her.

3 Likes

So…did it work?

4 Likes

There’s a really depressing angle here. A university is where a person goes to spend a huge amount of money and effort to transform themselves to become more useful to society. She spent tons of money just to alter people’s perception of her, not to become a better person on the inside.

Also:
UC Davis Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi pepper spray protestor incident.
UC Davis Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi accusations of nepotism. (hi gogle!)

6 Likes

Rich British parents spend a lot of money sending their children to Eton, where the main, if unofficial, subject, on the curriculum is personal PR and brown-nosing.
If anyone thinks this is exaggeration, please observe the careers of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson and David Cameron.

7 Likes

Standard Political Response to Every Feckin’ Thing, “Now is not the time to apportion blame, instead we should accept that mistakes have been made, and move on.”

Note: learning from mistakes is not important, moving on is :wink:

5 Likes

If she’d gone “this pepper spray incident was an outrage! we won’t tolerate physical abuse of the students who come to this institution!” people might have gone “damn right! I’m gonna see if my kids wanna go here!” but now instead it’s “fuck damn lady! what a corrupt bag of snakes, wasting loads of student’s money to protect incompetent scummers who think they can pay to scrub google. What a bastard master of dildonics they are! I wouldn’t even apply if I wanted to learn about dildonics.”

3 Likes

Also relevant, yesterday it was announced that UC-Berkeley’s chancellor spent $200,000 on reputation management due to a $150,000,000 debt and over his handling of THREE sexual harassment cases.

Yay, UC!

4 Likes

Does it help if we repeat her name a bunch of times?

Linda P.B. Katehi

Linda P.B. Katehi

Linda P.B. Katehi

Linda P.B. Katehi

Linda P.B. Katehi

2 Likes

No. Next question.

1 Like