UC Davis Chancellor spent $400K+ to scrub her online reputation after pepper-spray incident

Do you know much about SEO?

1 Like

Enough to know that has nothing to do with my answer to your question.

(Now, if you were to post on numerous websites something like “I am positively convinced that Former UC Davis Chancellor Linda P B Katehi is in no way whatsoever guilty of embezzlement of funds for personal gain” I might think you were trying to do a bit of SEO. But that would be morally wrong.)

5 Likes

Every time I see that I think - that’s not pepper spray - it’s bear spray. The size of the container and volume/density of the spray? Not pepper spray.

Pepper spray:

Bear spray:

2 Likes

The larger models are marketed to law enforcement for crowd control/abuse.

7 Likes

I sure hope that poor woman wasn’t forced to pay out of pocket!

2 Likes

Internet outrage mobs are no fun. Whether you put out a controversial video, or tweet, or people are posting you all over the book of faces upset with what they think you have done or said, you will end up with death threats and harassment. It was wrong when it happened to Anita Sarkesian because it was wrong to happen to anyone. It’s understandable that the chancellor would want to make it stop.

1 Like

“… and Grizzy Bear poo is larger, smells of pepper spray and contains bells.”

5 Likes

She wasn’t out to get rid of death threats – she was out to get rid of mentions of what she actually did.

10 Likes

The chancellor was in a position to do that by taking appropriate action to investigate the campus police and respond to evidence of any wrongdoing. Instead, she tried to bury bad news under the carpet.
Sarkesian was simply targeted by low-life basement dwellers for doing nothing that was in any way questionable to normal people. She was not in a position of authority. Can’t you perceive a difference?

11 Likes

They slap a new label on bear spray?

2 Likes

I have an actual, serious question. Are these companies that offer reputation improvement/internet scrubbing services ever successful, or are they just conning dumb rich people, corporations, and institutions out of a lot of money? Could or have any of them been prosecuted for fraud? I could see where they could maybe be partly successful with a person, company, or institution who doesn’t have any notoriety (me, or a local dog grooming business, for example), but there’s no way to scrub a big news story like this. Aren’t there truth in advertising laws or something these businesses might be in violation of?

1 Like

Pro’lly made in the same factories. And if you are dealing with an unruly neighborhood or visiting family members, go for the fire extinguisher sized model:

1 Like

It’s for “riots” (in which a “rioter” is any person who doesn’t immediately comply with an officer’s request, or just happens to be in the general vicinity of such a person).

5 Likes

Well, Bravo! Reading all this, ya’ gotta honestly ask: 'So how’s it going for you now, Madam Chancellor???
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

This really puts Linda P.B. Katehi right in there with Those About To Rock.

3 Likes

I think it could work. A good reputation management company can find out what it would take to make something like this go away (an apology, compensation, a rewrite of the Code of Conduct, etc.), and generally just have the clients vet their public statements so that they don’t make the situation worse.

But anyone who claim they can make something disappear from the Internet is probably just engaged in fraud.

7 Likes

Wasn’t that a major plot point in The Dark Knight Rises?

2 Likes

Bear spray is white, the stuff Pike used was orange, like pepper spray. Why would a campus cop in Davis carry bear spray? This is the only bear you’re gonna find anywhere near there:

3 Likes

There’s also this guy, though he’s a bit further from campus:

2 Likes

I’ve seen some others.

5 Likes