UC Davis spent $175,000 to scrub its 'pepper spray episode' from web searches

For the thread’s edification and the sake of having an unaltered pic here for record keeping.

Sgt Pepperspray.

12 Likes

I think that one is called the Catholic effect these days.

2 Likes

It might forget a few (OK, a lot of) facts now and then, but this has become a meme.

If there isn’t already a ‘South Park’ episode of it, there should be one.

5 Likes

A few minutes ago I typed in ‘UC Davis’ into Google and a bunch of news articles about this attempted cover up was under ‘In The News’ on the very first page. Great job guys

8 Likes

Oh yeah, this is gonna work out just fine.

2 Likes

Because the Wayback machine is inaccessible from the internet, and thus not a part of it?

3 Likes

15 Likes

The Wayback machine is missing lots and lots of pages. Trying to find items on it can be an exercise in frustration. It may not have spidered the site I’m looking up at all, or it didn’t spider deep enough to record the page I want to see, or it didn’t record the page at the right date. It doesn’t spider pages that say No Robots, and it complies with requests by site owners to purge content.

The Wayback machine is proof that the internet does forget not the other way around. That’s why it was created in the first place. And it is an imperfect (though wonderful) solution to that fact.

2 Likes

It’s important to note that this Nazi scumbag is Lieutenant John Pike of the University of California Davis torturing college students and getting away with it.

Scrub that, motherfuckers, here and the dozens of other places I will continue to post it.

11 Likes

There’s different levels of internet forgetfulness. In the sense of “does the information exist in an accessible form”, I think information survivability depends largely on how many copies there are, and whether anyone is actively working to preserve or destroy it. In that sense, the internet seems unlikely to forget this incident, for so long as anything we’d recognize as the internet continues to exist.

There’s also the softer kind of forgetfulness, where the information exists, but isn’t widely disseminated, or people know but don’t care. That’s much more likely in this case, I regret to say. In a perfect world, the stink of this episode would attach itself to everyone involved, ensuring that they are kept well away positions of authority

2 Likes

Wikipedia: UC Davis pepper-spray incident

I hope that someone is checking the page for suspicious edits.

Lt. John Pike was paid $38,000 in worker’s compensation benefits to compensate for his psychological pain and suffering, because the people’s reaction hurt his feelings. (In addition to getting $80K in paid vacation.)

His victims got $30,000 each.

Presumably Pike got transferred to UC Berkeley. They cheerfully employ torturers and war criminals, so a psychotic storm trooper should fit right in.

9 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

From the Twitters:

Christopher Ingraham ‏@_cingraham 1 hour ago
2019 headline: “UC Davis spends $250k to scrub references to the time they paid $175k to scrub references to the pepper spray incident from [2011]”

8 Likes

2 Likes

Streisand Effect: serving the internet since the 19th century?

3 Likes

Things that make me go “Hmmm…

You call it the Streisand Effect. Trump calls it a strategy.

Granted, in his version it would be the families of the rebels.

1 Like

Out of a cannon… into the sun.

edit: Added context.

6 Likes

That should be her, as in, what should they fire her out of. Her being Linda Katehi.

3 Likes