UC Santa Barbara law professor caught on video in racist tirade against construction worker

Originally published at: UC Santa Barbara law professor caught on video in racist tirade against construction worker | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Soon to be former UC Santa Barbara law professor.

13 Likes

“And then when someone put the camera in my face, I think that’s when I lost my judgment. My judgment went very, very badly,” Umana said. “I am truly sorry that this got out of hand, and I regret making statements like that, because I said them in the heat of the moment. They were not measured, and whatever I might feel, I don’t have the right to take it out on anybody else. But unfortunately, I lost control.”

tldr: “I said the quite part out load, and I resent being judged for being an awful person”.

21 Likes

20 Likes

“I work for the police,” says Umana.

Lying No Way GIF by Bounce

They love to try to put the fear into minority folks, knowing full well what police vs. minorities means.

22 Likes

She said the incident began when she noticed a construction truck speeding down her residential street and parked illegally in the middle of the road. She said she approached the property where Cervantes worked to report the incident to a manager — not realizing it was an active construction site.

So, was it speeding or was it parked illegally?
Also, if it was a construction truck, and you walked onto someone else’s property where people are doing construction work, how do you not realize it’s a construction site?

You’d think a law professor would know how to lie even a little better than this…

18 Likes

I somehow doubt that her story/excuse is true. And even if it were partly true who tf goes to an active site to yell at construction workers?

11 Likes

“I have a right to know who lives here.”

Wanna bet, “Professor?”

14 Likes

Not a fan of this headline.
She has not taught at UCSB for many, many years. The Law & Society program ended in 2006, so it’s been awhile.

9 Likes

“I am very much against people who break our laws” (except trespassing, impersonating a police officer and battery, apparently).

Yeah, there’s clearly at least a wee bit of exaggeration involved there. I suspect she was just annoyed construction work was happening in her neighborhood and decided to snoop around.

8 Likes

Yet the “rate my professor” website suddenly has a bunch of newly added ratings for her…

(Before her racist tirade the last rating was from 2005)

8 Likes

At least she didn’t lie and say “this is not who I am.” because we got to see exactly who she is underneath her ‘measured’ façade

8 Likes

Update: also confused another Latino man for a construction worker and threatened to report him. I believe she is letting us know exactly who she is.

12 Likes

“I am very, very much against people who break our laws.”

Immediately commits an assault.

What kind of law professor was she?

11 Likes

A Wilhoit’s law professor?

Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

11 Likes

Wow, camera is so powerful. It exposes all ACABs and racists alike. “Lost my judgment,” that is only the case if she has any. Instead, it’s more like showing her judgemental world view for all to see.

People like her clearly know what this action can lead to. I don’t know what is more evil than this beside actual murder.

For the 999th time, all the racist assholes use this excuse as the thin veil cover for their bullshit. What “law” was she preferring to? Wilhoit’s law?

9 Likes

Emphasis on our laws, which protect us and our interests from people like you.

9 Likes

I’m very sorry that Professor Umana is apparently of retirement age. It would be much better if she were a lot earlier in her career so her professional life could be really seriously screwed. As it stands now, she’ll totter off to her privileged old age and not really suffer any consequence for her actions beyond this brief foray into embarrassment.

5 Likes

You’d think a law professor would know not to do something as stupid as this.

7 Likes

You’re making the faulty assumption that most lawyers are smart and understand law. Have you seen the clown car of clueless and incompetent lawyers passing through Dolt45’s sphere of chaos over the last 8 years?

7 Likes