UFO fans descend on rural Nevada town for 'Area 51' festival locals do not want

To Burn Man - “It’s a bad cookbook!”

10 Likes

This may have momentarily been about UFOs, but once the “run like Naruto” and “get some alien butt” memes started flying around, I think this’ll just be a lot of 4channers out for lulz or whatever term the kiddies use these days.

4 Likes

Remember when The internet was a buzz over “Snakes on a Plane,” and when the movie came out it fizzled? I’m thinking that this will be a similar non-event.

But, just in case I’m wrong, I’d like to extend a hearty welcome to our alien overlords!

1 Like

ok, so this morning on our local NPR station (KUNR) there was a local reporter who is down there covering it, and a person who showed up said exactly that. “it’s like an early burning man!” – i rolled my eyes so hard i almost fell down. i am completely surprised that people are showing up for this. the capacity of people to do something completely dumb continues to surprise me.

3 Likes

Might as well pitch a tent at the local abandoned quarry or something – just as likely to see aliens.

1 Like

Hanlon’s razor. “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Or the quotes often attributed to Albert Einstein (but which may not be Einstein quotes): “Two things are infinite: the universe and the human stupidity.” or a variant “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.”

There’s a page devoted to stupidity on Wikiquote.

1 Like

And a companion piece…

5 Likes

‘Towns that benefit from tourism afraid of tourists.’

I have a sense that this is more about these being perceived as the ‘wrong’ type of people to visit their towns. I’m down with a bunch of young adults wanting to have an alien themed party together in the desert.

1 Like

Mulder would get jerked around by forces beyond his control, always searching for an explanation for his bewildering experiences, doubting his own memories, never collecting enough evidence to prove any particular hypothesis, one grand conspiracy after another receding as he advances, out there like a rainbow, like a mirage, like the horizon

5 Likes

After having Trump elected, NOTHING surprises me.

1 Like

well, me too – but here we are, and a stupid joke that someone posted on Zuckbook now has people from across the country assembled in rural Nevada with the idea of “storming” a military facility to prove “once and for all” whether aliens exist. i mean… it’s staggering.

1 Like

Well, sure - like, mid-70’s Burning Man. My family drove through that area on vacation. Not a poser in sight.

Meanwhile.

The cynical part of me thinks that the Area 51 festival idea was hijacked by people with an interest in silencing those of us who care about the future.

5 Likes

Well, there’s only about 75 people there, according to the AP, and from the sounds of it they’re all just 4chan jerkoffs.

1 Like

You know, I would not be surprised if that were at least partial the case…

3 Likes

One of the more credible analyses I’ve heard for the continued top-secret status of the airbase we call Area 51 is that it gives the US military a functional exemption from having to take responsibility for decades of toxic pollution in the area.

An EPA panel can’t order the Air Force to start paying for a soil decontamination program if investigators don’t even have the security clearance to go there.

5 Likes

If I had more money and ambition I would have started a band called ‘Them Aliens’ and booked a show nearby so the people who do show up could attend and see ‘Them Aliens’.

Has anyone else noticed that, if you go to Groom Lake, NV in Google maps, switch to satellite view and drag the “street view guy” onto the map, he turns into a little flying saucer?

1 Like

NarutoFast-69e1

2 Likes
1 Like