UFO fans descend on rural Nevada town for 'Area 51' festival locals do not want

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/19/ufo-fans-descend-on-rural-neva.html

4 Likes

i live in Nevada. i still say nobody is going to show up and it’s going to be a total embarrassment for everyone involved.

6 Likes

Far less embarrassing than if they DO show up, though.

9 Likes

Whoo boy. I’ve been to Rachel. Any number of people showing up there at once is going to overwhelm it. To call it a “town” is a wild overstatement. It’s a small mobile home park with a bar, the “Little A’Le’Inn” (that also apparently has a few rooms to stay in), spread out over a square mile or so. The entire population can fit in the bar.

Even if no one shows up in Rachel, they’re still going to be swamped.

Yeah, it’s an embarrassment either way - whether people show up or not - for different reasons.

10 Likes

true, but then again there are a LOT of nevada towns like that. i think if nobody shows they will be relieved.

3 Likes

If I was close by I’d go. Just for the fun of it.

I want to believe. What would Mulder do?

4 Likes

If I was close by I’d go. Just for the fun of it.

No point going to Earth unless it’s for a better reason than that.

5 Likes

Oh yeah. I was part of a smallish group going somewhere near there, and when only a fraction of the group went via that route, and only some of that sub-group stopped there, they still seemed overwhelmed. It was fewer than half-a-dozen cars involved, over an afternoon.

4 Likes

I hope there’s lots of Scully/Mulder cosplay.

9 Likes

isn’t vegas close-ish? i’d assume folks will stay there and rent a car

3 Likes

“Close” in the sense of being a ~2.5 hour drive…

7 Likes

There are daily commuter flights out of McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas.
I understand obtaining a boarding pass is a bit cumbersome, though.

7 Likes

The motel is fully booked. They’ve hired entertainment.

Thanks for sharing that article; I found it fascinating. It seems kind of weird that the current fleet were operating in China before becoming America’s Secret Airline. I’m guessing that they got the fine-toothed comb treatment before going in to service; checking for tracking devices.

I guess that, flying Janet, you’ll probably end up in a good place; or a rough approximation there of.

4 Likes

Even if nobody shows up to storm Area 51, you know there will be at least several dozen reporters wandering around desperately trying to find someone to interview.

Eventually, they’d probably end up interviewing each other. (-:

8 Likes

What if only aliens turn up?

3 Likes

It could be like Burning Man, only without … everything.

9 Likes

It could be like Burning Man, only without … everything.

needlesrave

8 Likes

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess he’d realize the public has been speculating about what goes on at Area 51 for over 50 years and that sometime during that time somebody would have hit on the brilliant idea to move the flying saucers and alien bodies and whatnot somewhere else.

6 Likes

If the aliens they have stored there get to angry about the overcrowding, they may use their lasers and start burning man.

2 Likes