Uganda, where homosexuality can carry the death sentence, bans even saying you're gay

Originally published at: Uganda, where homosexuality can carry the death sentence, bans even saying you're gay | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I was a delegate at a UN-sponsored conference in Kampala a few years ago about improving cyber security literacy amongst the population. We (as Europeans) were berated by a Ugandan government minister for about ten minutes because of our governments’ refusal to cooperate fully with the demands of the thuggish Museveni regime towards political opponents and supporters of gay rights. It was genuinely quite a scary experience.

A shame, Uganda truly is astoundingly beautiful, Murchison Falls is one of the most amazing places I have ever visited and I was lucky enough to meet some incredible people - and have breakfast right alongside a group of wild elephants. But I won’t be going back until all my friends know they can be themselves and still be safe there.

19 Likes

“Why do you object to the traditional African homophobia that was implanted by European missionaries and colonists?”

/s

12 Likes

Wonder if this will soon get an update. (As of 2019)

Excerpt:

…Sen. Jim Inhofe and former Attorney General John Ashcroft, who emphasize there what Inhofe calls the “political philosophy of Jesus"…

I’m not reading from the same/correct Bible, apparently.

12 Likes

It should. This latest horror was brought to Uganda by American evangelical Xtianists.

12 Likes

There’s not a single line in the Bible about Jesus condemning homosexuality, but there’s a lot of stuff in the New Testament about feeding the poor and paying everyone a living wage and welcoming immigrants and offering judgement-free compassion to prostitutes and all kinds of other things that American Evangelicals actively spit on.

21 Likes

I know you are joking - but I think that it was our Bible-thumping homophobic ancestors who put these laws on the book might have been part of the diatribe we received from the Ugandan minister.

3 Likes

My sibling works for the CDC in Uganda on outbreaks. I’ve made it clear that my LGBT self will not travel there to visit, much less with my husband, due to the risk to our welfare - this latest news only driving the point home. My family respects this, but still excuses it to continue working/travelling there, at this very minute enjoying a safari vacation without us at Murchison Falls.

10 Likes
5 Likes

Good documentary about it:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.