UK police twice detain black man for "wearing a coat" and reportedly delete his footage of encounter

Originally published at: UK police twice detain black man for "wearing a coat" and reportedly delete his footage of encounter | Boing Boing

8 Likes

You’d think that Constable Savage would have been retired by now, but …

7 Likes

A heavy jacket in England, in March! Why ever would he wear that?!

12 Likes

The last few days in London have been a bit all over the place

Saturday morning was around 7 C and by lunchtime it was 18C, on Sunday the temperature dropped 12 degrees. Today was 2 degrees in the morning, by noon it was snowing and now is sunny and 8C

last week I went to the dentist at 4 pm and took a coat, by the time I arrived I was sweating and when I got home it was windy and cold

How the heck do you dress for the weather in the UK in March?

7 Likes
9 Likes

In case it’s useful, on a locked iPhone if you record or take a photo and then delete it, it remains in the “Recently Deleted” album on the locked side for 30 days. So you can’t permanently delete recorded media on a locked iPhone. Not sure if Android works the same way.

Of course the entire device could be destroyed. A quick check shows iCloud doesn’t get the deleted folder synced.

12 Likes

Layers. We have similar weather swings in Michigan in March. Sometimes we wake up with a couple inches of snow on the ground that melt by noon and we end up at 60F or higher by sunset. It’s just March, this is the way it goes. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Good question! The answer is however you please.

12 Likes

You know - a coat would totally kill a cop if it got the chance. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Where I am in the US, Monday was 18F (-8C) and Wednesday was 74F (23C). Lest you think that’s out of the ordinary, it will be 28F (-2C) on Saturday. Layers is the name of the game.

1 Like

Some of us have not forgotten when they shot a man from Brazil for wearing a coat…
Menezes
I used to work with a Caribbean woman who used to wear a coat in July in London because it was so much colder than the weather she was used to.

12 Likes

Are US ACAB’s training UK police now?

7 Likes

I’m not sure which way the training goes. The Met have had a reputation for oh, a long time now.
“Institutionally Corrupt”
Remember that song “If you want to know the time ask a policeman”?
That was back in the 19th Century, when the London Police had a reputation for “rolling” drunks and stealing their watches.

11 Likes

Yes, but only with the permission of the Met Police.
And only then if you’re white…
And possibly not even then, if this was actually the Metropolitan Police, who have their own set of rules.

5 Likes

You can’t just say that and not post the clip:

the Met have always been like this. Everybody understood the joke when it came out.

5 Likes

I can’t speak to UK police, but I have 3 good friends in Germany who are police and my observation is that they are all, police everywhere, being radicalized via internet memes. The older male police friend posts so much pro cop propaganda, that is really disturbing. When he and I talk about his job, and American police, he says things that are reasonable and make sense and reflect his compassion and ethics. I don’t understand the disconnect.

6 Likes

And in South Dakota, a hotel has banned Native Americans because “you can’t tell good Natives from bad ones” and added armed guards to enforce it.

We are descending into madness.

1 Like

Yeah, I used to live in Wandsworth where there is a large Rastafarian community, including many new arrivals from many warm places. It wasn’t uncommon to see folks around dressed like they were on an Arctic excursion while I was in shorts and t-shirt. You eventually get acclimated to the weather, but to varying degrees.

1 Like

I was in King’s Cross the other day, and saw a transit cop with a thin blue line Union Jack patch, so…not looking good.

7 Likes

Ya let one Nazi in, and then you have all their f’ing friends show up, and guess what, they’re Nazis too.
I bartended in some real low rent scuzzy places, and that was the rule we lived by, No Nazis Ever, let one in and the rest show up just like magic to make everything a hot shitty mess.

5 Likes