UK Political Thread, part the second

6 Likes
2 Likes

A part of me is a bit disappointed with this as it gives ammunition for those who imagined he wasn’t a Tory when he was trying to have the minimum of legal due process during Brexit. The fascist Tory party was straight up doing an executive power grab at the time and Bercow did his country a solid. As did the judiciary. The fascist press, needless to say, called both traitors.

9 Likes

I must say, the more I see of Hoyle, the more I miss Bercow.

2 Likes

Bercow__Thank You

3 Likes

Nigel Farage has got himself a debate show on GBeebies. I’m sure that the other host, Dehenna Davison MP, will be there as a more moderate voice.

Fuck, Falange is the moderate voice. It’s debate night at Nazi club, accept your invitation if you dare.

6 Likes

UK health secretary Matt Hancock follows delay to GP data grab with campaign called ‘Data saves lives’

Following UK government’s U-turn on the deadline for grabbing GP patient data, under-fire Health Secretary Matt Hancock is launching a policy paper to convince the public of the benefits of sharing their medical data.
[…]

2 Likes

Doesn’t debate require people with opposing viewpoints?

Sounds more like a love in…

1 Like

I’m sure they’ll find some idiots to go on there. On the other hand, a lot of trans people refuse to talk to most of the UK press now as they believe that they will be misquoted and/or abused by TERs. We’re damned if we do and damned if we don’t.

6 Likes

I can believe it, I have loads of respect for those people who brave that gauntlet, and also entirely understand those who can’t.

Defies parody.

Chilling.

6 Likes

Seems rather North Korean…

5 Likes

In better news the new leader of the DUP used his acceptance speech to say this:
“I have the vision to lead unionism into its second century, by embracing those who believe in a Northern Ireland where people of all identities and none can live, work and raise their family."
You may consider that to be just standard political cant, but it has been noticeably absent as even a token intention in the DUP lately. Let’s hope he can live up to it.

3 Likes

Apart from anything else, how will we be able to mock Americans now?

At least the Pledge of Allegiance reads like it was written by a literate adult.

3 Likes

You cut to the chase right there! We are all racing to copy the worst parts of everyone else’s systems.

6 Likes

Department for Juche.

3 Likes

It gets better. The day celebrating the unity of the UK will not apply to schools in Scotland, because this has been scheduled for a date when they’re already on summer holidays.

(This is on top of the fact that it wouldn’t apply to schools in Scotland, Wales, or NI anyway, as education is devolved and the none of them would be volunteering for this nonsense.)

6 Likes

So so much of what this authoritarian flag shagging government are doing right now give me constant chilling reminders of V for Vendetta.

5 Likes

Talking of idiots

Some people won’t accept the horror of 2020’s Britain until they experience it themselves.

5 Likes

So electoral fraud in the UK is apparently a big enough problem that we need voter ID, and at the same time so insignificant that we can afford to strip the Electoral Commission of its powers of prosection:

6 Likes