UK Political Thread, part the second

Get a constitution. Now. Not the pretend one.

I believe they are getting rid of the human rights act too aren’t they.

4 Likes

They are working on it, of course they are - “overhaul” indeed…

4 Likes

I would need to see the actual cases but my first thought is you should no more report a Tory version of what happened in a case without an explanation of what actually did and in what context than you should ever have printed an Al de Pfeiffel story of European legislation without the actual story.

It’s like printing anti vaxxers along with scientists.

This bit from Raab is chilling "The problem is not the convention, it’s the way it has been interpreted and in particular the licence given to the courts in this country under the Human Rights Act ". In other words judicial independence is under threat. Just as it was when the executive tried to avoid parliament and threaten the judiciary. At this rate there was no reason to negotiate an exit from the EU, you’d be shaping to get kicked out.

5 Likes
4 Likes

4 Likes

Thought this should be cross posted from the other thread.

This really diminishes all of us and who knows the motive right now but the violent rhetoric and harassment of MPs has only gotten worse since Brexit and Jo Cox being murdered in the street.

ETA: Apparently he has now died from his injuries.

4 Likes

This is horrible of course… but am I wrong in thinking that the tone of the coverage seems different from when Jo Cox was killed?

Possibly, i mean i thoroughly disagree with most of his politics and the reportage has brought up his Catholicism informing his anti-abortion views and such numerous times that i’ve watched the news today. Though there is a lot of speculation because we don’t know the murderer’s motives yet whereas it was pretty clear soon after Jo’s murder that it was politically motivated. Although, to be fair, i have also done some speculating in this and the other thread by bringing up the ghoul that is the B word - if you say it three times in the mirror you get a visit from Fromage.

Crossposted from UK politician stabbed to death at public meeting - #27 by the_borderer

3 Likes
1 Like

Something that Amess consistently campaigned for.

2 Likes

It’s part of a longer twitter thread that isn’t a proper twitter thread for some reason, setting out her plans as the new general secretary of Unite.

3 Likes
1 Like

UK secret service complicity in inciting and supporting political massacres revealed.

4 Likes

Oh, so it wasn’t just the CIA and the Australian government who were complicit in that happy little genocide. Awesome!

3 Likes

Crossposted from a few other topics

The British government is not fit for purpose, neither is the opposition. When they are all a danger to my life why should I support them?

7 Likes

It’s a council by-election, rather than an parliament one, but I hope Labour is paying attention.

3 Likes

reggie watts yes GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

1 Like
6 Likes

No Way Wow GIF

Third way?

No, just go away.

2 Likes