UK Political Thread, part the second

What a surprise- the DUP says No, No, No once again.

7 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes

Prat that don’t half smell!

3 Likes

middle finger GIF

12 Likes

As if women and trans people didn’t overlap in the venn diagram at all.

Different species, really.

13 Likes

When Sir Keith was in charge of the CPS it was common for assault and rape cases against trans people to be dropped even when the police thought the case would lead to a conviction.

He has always been a cis supremacist. Transphobia doesn’t seem strong enough to describe what is happening anymore.

It has been common rhetoric in the Labour party for years now, just one of the things that made me realise there was no place for me in the party. Also there are no working class or Northern English trans people according to the party leadership.

William Morris was right, the Houses of Parliament should be turned into a manure warehouse.

15 Likes

By National Treasure do they mean she’s worth a lot of money and should be kept locked up in the Tower of London for safekeeping?

5 Likes
13 Likes

If Glinner put this much effort into supporting the women in his life - he wouldn’t be divorced.

Works for his job and his friends too.

13 Likes

spit take GIF

8 Likes

Just in case you want to hire an MP to help clients navigate the shifting political, regulatory and legislative frameworks in the UK and Europe, rates are as follow.

9 Likes

Get this out to as many British trans people as possible, it is important!

(I really hate this separation of trans and non-binary. It is divide and rule in action.)

10 Likes
12 Likes

That’s one less thing to worry about.

11 Likes

I’m glad that Humza won, I’m a bit concerned that he doesn’t come across as a particularly charismatic speaker, though up against Douglas Ross and Anas Sarwar he might not have much to worry about in that regard. That’s not to say he doesn’t come across as a nice enough chap, but just compare him to either Nicola Sturgeon or to Stephen Flynn’s performance in Westminster. Hopefully fannybaws Ross will give him some open goals that will allow him to shine.
Where that charisma really matters is in his ability to win over the 50+ age demographics, to stand any chance of winning independence within the next 5 years. Scotland has an ageing population, and 50 years old is pretty much the point where support for independence drops below 50%.
That age demographic might’ve been won over somewhat when Nicola Sturgeon was making them feel safer during covid, but that support has dwindled rapidly in recent times, now that the old bastards are back to being primarily concerned about their pensions and house values, and easily swayed by culture war bollocks about gender.

5 Likes

I don’t particularly “like” like this, but it’s true. My main reaction to Humza winning has been “well, at least it wasn’t either of the other two”. He’s going to have to get better quickly if he’s going to be anything other than a placeholder as First Minister.

Also, it’s somewhat ironic to see the SNP fall into one of the exact same traps as Labour in Scotland did when they were in power- the best talent in the party has ended up at Westminster, rather than at Hollyrood. The causes of the situation are different, though- In Labour’s case it was because Westminster MPs had a chance of power in the Blair/Brown governments and could advance their careers and power that way, rather than staying in Edinburgh. With the SNP, it’s been because Nicola was so firmly in power in Edinburgh, being leader of the Westminster group of MPs was the only top position available to compete for.

Still, the result is the same, with the party in power in Edinburgh essentially fielding their B team- if Labour or the Tories had any talent at all to bring to bear, this would be an opening for them.

4 Likes

Is Douglas Ross the one that looks like a Tory version of Beaker?

2 Likes