UK Political Thread, part the second

These two headlines appeared right next to one another in my feed today.

2 Likes

Wtf?

“These proposals will ensure every new building in England is required to provide separate male and female or unisex facilities and publish guidance to explain the difference, protecting the dignity, privacy, and safety of all.”

Unisex toilets are the same thing as gender neutral toilets.

As usual, they’re just pretending to do things.

(Yes, theoretically, gender neutral toilets could be one big shared room with several stalls, Ally McBeal-style, but all the ones I have seen in the UK or elsewhere in Europe have been self contained unisex toilets)

9 Likes

“Again” ???

1 Like
6 Likes

Keir Starmer has always been a TER. Just ask any trans person who had their case dropped by the CPS when he was in charge, there are a lot of us (including me).

4 Likes

How is he STILL in a leadership position in the party! It’s enraging!

6 Likes

Because he has the support of the British media, which is also run by TERs. Any criticism of Starmer is seen as a sign of Corbynism and justification for being purged from the party.

Starmer may have kicked Corbyn out of the Labour party, but he hasn’t evicted him from his head. Most of the rest of us moved on a long time ago.

4 Likes

Angry Star Trek GIF

Yeah, seems like. I’m guessing he still sees that wing of the party as a threat to his control of the party…

I hate this timeline!

6 Likes

I also just thought about those anti-trans numbers.

26%, 27%, 24%…

7 Likes

Last rites for the UK’s Online Safety Bill, an idea too stupid to notice it’s dead

4 Likes

This is kind of interesting to me. It’s a bit like the fake news sites that inserted stories into the US cycle. Sites designed to look like actual local news sites that the bad faith actors in the mainstream conservative/corporate media could then just ask questions about/have talking heads discuss but a bit more hyper local. And as they aren’t operating from Moldova but rather from Conservative HQ (the killer is in the building!) they are a bit more open to law suits when they fuck up by using a title someone still owns.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Isn’t that the definition of community policing?

10 Likes

To a non-nazi, yes.

2 Likes

“does anyone ever say you’ve done a good job because everyone else has sat on their arse and done nothing”.

Over-optimistic from a Tory.

3 Likes

Education is a bit of a poison portfolio for getting a pat on the back - if you’re in the media spotlight then something has “gone wrong”. Take end of school exams - if grades are down, then the media are “why are we failing to educate kids”. If grades are up then the media are “OMG grade inflation”.

Similarly bits of the Home Office. Crime Stats up: you’re presiding over a crime wave. Crime Stats down: there’s not enough staff to log crimes, let alone deal with them.

There’s at least opportunities to get some good media in, say, Transport. Get a photo-op opening a new train-line or sommat.

2 Likes

Gotta stay vigilant. Even in the National Trust

4 Likes

If there are beneficial photo-ops to be had, then the PM will nick them, if there is anything else – a blurred pic of a sweating minister entering No 10 to “answer” questions for the latest money-pit catastrophe. DfT is a well-known poison chalice which is why it is often given to the fanboys (which does make them slightly competent).

6 Likes

Yeah. It’s mildly tedious having to turn out the vote at the National Trust, for God’s sake, to stop these chancers winning by default. I’m sure they’re going to try again this year.

3 Likes

Damn, I was reaching for an example that had genuine potential for good press.

On reflection, collective responsibility seems to mean that the PM claims every victory as a personal victory. This is a larger version of “the junior partner in a coalition gets fucked”.

Yes, abolish the collective responsibility silliness is on my electoral reform list, right next to “abolish FPTP”. One without the other will fail in Westminster.

3 Likes