UK Political Thread, part the second

Aww Pity GIF by MOODMAN

5 Likes

So is she officially dis-honorable now?

5 Likes
2 Likes

There’s always this one weird guy in any group.

2 Likes
2 Likes

So… I live in the :canada: poster child city for car-centric urban planning. It’s so bad that even our beloved former mayor, Hazel McCallion, regretted those planning decisions. (Locals knew her to be a particularly bad driver, too. Her reserved spot under the city’s theatre is dead straight ahead from the parking garage entrance.)

There was a story in the Toronto Star this morning of one of our strip malls:

The public transport to the area is also poor, despite requests from local businesses to the city for better bus service to accommodate workers. The busy roads around the area — and a dangerous left turn required to enter the plaza — make even a short walk from neighbouring homes to the plaza a treacherous one, locals told the Star.

This, built on top of flat, essentially featureless prime farm land, not retrofitted onto organic town plans made during Roman rule. Even when it succeeds, it fails.

5 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

This shit about how eeeeevil 15 minute cities are really boils my piss. It’s exactly what life used to be like in their imagined halcyon days they want to return to, for fuck’s sake. It’s called a local high street. I live next to one; it’s great. I can get anything I need on it from groceries to a new car - actually, as it’s the wrong side of the tracks, up to & including drugs and guns if I tried hard enough, but whatevs. The point is, I could walk there, dammit. :laughing:

9 Likes

Fifty years from now Britain will still be the country of long shadows on county grounds, warm beer, invincible green suburbs, dog lovers and pools fillers and - as George Orwell said - “old maids bicycling driving to Holy Communion through the morning mist cloud of micro particulates” and if we get our way - Shakespeare still read even in school.

About 20 years to go and it’s not looking good, John.

As an aside, I assume Major was talking about football pools there rather than swimming pools?

6 Likes

jackalyote

The UK have discovered they have in fact reached the “Find Out” part…

4 Likes

Yet another attempt to win by choosing who votes.

4 Likes

extra 2.2 million overseas voters become eligible to take part

That’s 2.2 million voters who haven’t been exposed to the noxious sewer of propaganda from Tory outlets, who have experienced life outside of the :uk:, who are livid at losing :eu: residency privileges, who are world-wise, who know what it is to swim in a river or lake not contaminated by raw sewage.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

6 Likes

…after a statutory instrument that was approved by parliament in late December almost unnoticed came into force…
…also means that overseas residents with more tenuous links to the UK can donate to British political parties.

Voting rights – my arse.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Well, some of them. Others live in communities like this

4 Likes

God, that looks depressing.

7 Likes
4 Likes

At least the shopkeepers are taking the piss

3 Likes

I suppose it’s grimly amusing that Spain has a sizable helping of Falangists still, with whom they’d have so much in common, but won’t talk to cos they’re foreign…

5 Likes