UK Political Thread, part the second

Because of the fiction that we elect individual MPs, rather than members of a party.

4 Likes

Was that ever a consideration? I have had direct interaction with my last 3 MPs and found myself in general agreement with them, but I do not believe I would have voted for them had they not also been representatives of the Labour party.

1 Like

It is in some cases. At the next election, Iā€™m not going to be voting for my chosen party, because their local candidate is utterly toxic. I donā€™t want to be too specific, but Iā€™m sure theyā€™re regret not deselecting them.

3 Likes

Once I voted for person over party.

The idea really belongs to a time when the parties were weaker. Churchill crossed the aisle before becoming PM, which is practically unthinkable now - it almost sunk Truss that she was a Lib Dem at uni!

1 Like

Liberals = Tories

Gladstone did it the other way. Itā€™s traditional with them. Liberal party, when it has been in power or even close to it, has been characterised by a quite extraordinary quantity and quality of talking through both sides of their mouths. David Lloyd George made a career of it. Liberals are Tories who want to be seen as nice. In other words missing the entire point of a party named after thieves who steal from the poor and give to the rich (themselves).

And now letā€™s talk about Austerity Cleggā€¦ You think itā€™s somehow out of character with the LibDems that he went from a Tory government to Arsebookā€™s Global Liar in Chief?

3 Likes
6 Likes

Asshole defends indefensible asshole, or as itā€™s known, another day in the Tory party.

3 Likes

(I think thatā€™s a satire site. :thinking:)

4 Likes

Itā€™s only satire if youā€™re not entirely sure.

5 Likes
5 Likes

And of course the money is still good:

3 Likes

You canā€™t blame the money! Itā€™s not itā€™s fault, it didnā€™t know!!!

5 Likes

And to cap it all off, the Speaker didnā€™t let the victim respond.

Hoyle has to go after the election. Heā€™s losing all credibility.

8 Likes

Isnā€™t he there because the last one insisted on following parliamentary rules rather than let the Conservatives do stuff without parliamentary votes (as distinct from cabinet ones)?

6 Likes

NSFW in places, and hysterical, as usual:

6 Likes

UK minister tells telcos to share telegraph poles if they canā€™t lay cable underground

6 Likes
4 Likes

crossposted from the transphobia threadā€¦

6 Likes
5 Likes

The Brexit saga rumbles on and on.

Stormont deadlocks the first time it has to approve regulatory alignment with the EU, because of course the DUP are blocking it.

6 Likes