UK Political Thread, part the second

First of all can we move past “Former Coronation Street actor”? Tracy Brabin has clearly changed careers into politics now, she isn’t some Trumplike fraud.

This result was good, but it means we are going to have another by-election in a red wall seat that Captain Incompetence is going to lose. I’m sure he has his shortlist of one Blairite candidate already in place .

Talking of Blairites, there are rumours that Peter Mandelson is trying to persuade Starmer to purge the soft left. He may have left Stalinism in his youth, but the Stalinist never left him.

4 Likes

We could probably build up quite a substantial wiki of Tory fuckery.

4 Likes

11 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

That’s not how it works. The official term for an “unofficial ambassador” is a “spy”.

6 Likes

Oh, it’s worse than that. They’re cutting funding for arts courses at universities in half.

Arts, media studies…and archaeology.

This is clearly an attempt to starve archaeology companies of qualified employees so that they can then do the NHS thing and argue on behalf of their developer cronies that planning laws should be weakened.

7 Likes

History departments are coming under fire in the UK as well.

5 Likes
8 Likes
3 Likes

Yup, utter bullshit. It’s right out of the GQP playbook of using non-existant mass voter fraud as justification.

4 Likes

I’m sure that combining one of Margaret Thatcher’s most unpopular policies (the poll tax) with one of Tony Blair’s (ID cards) won’t go down well.

Oh shit, Starmer hasn’t resigned yet. He’ll probably make a half hearted protest then have a three line whip to abstain from the vote, to show Labour’s opposition. Can we ask Nicola Sturgeon to form a real shadow cabinet?

7 Likes

The only reliably good party for trans people at the moment are the Scottish Green Party, who are independent from the Green Party of England and Wales. They have taken a strong no transphobia attitude and most of the TERs resigned in protest, which makes being trans supportive a lot easier.

7 Likes

And in the very same Queen’s Speech:

Mm, I wonder which way they’re expecting people who can afford to retire overseas/go into tax exile to vote?

(And will they be expected to show up at a polling station with photo ID?)

7 Likes

To explain this in context: they slaughtered a bunch of people who were unhappy at others being rounded up for imprisonment without trial. People like a priest giving last rites to someone shot trying to get an ambulance. They more than got away with it, they were celebrated in the army, and did it again a few months later. The government, army, and judiciary have spent ever since then lying, delaying, and covering their arses with one specious report after another.

And the fuckers in charge now are writing a law to make it illegal to punish murderers.

11 Likes
6 Likes

But in the Queen’s Speech, the government announced a consultation will be held in England and Wales before the law changes.

This will explore how to ensure the ban does not have “unintended consequences”, and that medical professionals, religious leaders, teachers and parents can keep having “open and honest conversations”.

How many times must we justify our existence? How many times must we hear conspiracy theories dressed up as “open and honest conversations”? How many times must we be told that our continued abuse is in the public interest?

12 Likes

For UK citizens who want to sign the petition against voter suppression laws.

Should include this for context (TLDR - there is no mass voter fraud)…

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/our-views-and-research/our-research/electoral-fraud-data/2019-electoral-fraud-data

4 Likes

Leave voters hate him, remain voters hate him, young voters hate him, older voters hate him.

If Starmer won’t resign from the leadership then I back the nuclear option. Expel him from the party like Ramsay MacDonald was 90 years ago. He is leading the Labour party to its doom.

7 Likes

I can’t add much at all but only to ponder where the living fuck is an effective opposition in this country? First past the post needs to die alone and in a ditch somewhere but the short but terrifying Queen’s Speech is a smorgasbord of authoritarian crap that gives the flag shaggers wet dreams. I despair…

this-is-bullshit

8 Likes