UK Political Thread, part the second

1 Like

Crossposted to Today in Transphobia

I am losing track of how many of these consultations i have sent responses to. Groundhog day is an accurate description.

The TERs are trying to portray what they want as ā€œasking if you are sureā€. Having been though NHS sanctioned conversion therapy I can tell you it is nothing of the sort. It is a constant attack on peoples identity, gaslighting them to the point where they arenā€™t sure who they are any more. I left when I realised what was going on, but I expect if I stayed to the end they would have attempted to rebuild me as they wanted. That doesnā€™t work, all you get is a self hating person living in fear of showing who they really are, and that is the road to suicide.

9 Likes

People make Glasgow.

7 Likes

Was just coming to post that!

season 2 starz GIF by Outlander

I mean, look at what these fine folks were doing to stop them from being taken away on Eid!

Holy shit!

7 Likes

We need something along the scale of the Poll Tax riots for this shit. Not that weā€™ll get it.

4 Likes

Wait, what? Fuck me.

@Mindysan33 That. Is. Beautiful. Solidarity people. God, I love Scotland.
(apparently Iā€™m not allowed to talk to 2 people at once)

7 Likes

Weā€™ve already seen protests against the proposed protest legislation but i feel a flashpoint is coming where that and voter ID requirements are the spark if they persist in pushing ahead with them. Weā€™ve not forgotten the NO2ID campaign, right? The Torys were dead against that - is BoJo still going to eat his? The Torys now have access to a surveillance state that Thatcher could only have ever dreamed of and that truly terrifies me because once these laws get baked in youā€™ll never get rid of them.

4 Likes

The Blairites are busy wanking themselves into a stupor behind closed doors as well tho.

4 Likes

from the article

About 5% of the 108,000 people who responded to a 2018 LGBT government survey said they had been offered some form of conversion therapy, while 2% had undergone it.

More than half said it was conducted by a faith group, while one in five received it from healthcare professionals.

The conversion therapy I got was TERF style rather than religious, I had hours of some guy trying to persuade me I was a gay man. I was old enough that I had the choice to walk away, but many other people wouldnā€™t be able to if they were being forced to attend by parents or have been sectioned.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s fucking horrifying.

9 Likes

CW: suicide, if you need help look here

I nearly jumped in front of a train to Glasgow when I couldnā€™t cope with it anymore, that was the day that I decided I wasnā€™t going back and cancelled my next appointment.

This shit destroys lives, and hearing people defend the conversion therapy abusers brings back the despair that I felt back then. The DARVO and gaslighting from TERs towards trans people is largely going unquestioned by the British press and government. I have learned how to stay alive over the years, but these are skills that no person should need.

11 Likes

The Cabinet are backing down now, but it is clear that not every subject is protected free speech and now we can start pushing back on why some forms of prejudice are to be supported by the government and others are not.

5 Likes

Season 10 Hug GIF by Friends

10 Likes

Rosie TERFfield and her bigotry should have no place in the Labour party. Or maybe I have no place in the Labour party. There is definitely no place for both of us.

And some transgender kids are working class white boys in Hartlepool and Walthamstow. Stop playing these fucking stupid divide and rule games.

Itā€™s not anti-semitic if it is anti-anti-semitic :roll_eyes:

Starmer tries to steal another Tory policy that he saw.

13 Likes

The difference is that he doesnā€™t mean it literally, whilst the Tories are still debating whether to slice vertically or horizontally.

3 Likes

Starmer shows his support for the working classes again.

We need another Kinder Scout.

ETA:

6 Likes

Iā€™d really like to ditch my membership, but I want the opportunity to vote for anyone but him come the eventual leadership challenge.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the same situation. I was going to give them until the start of July to get rid of Starmer, but that wonā€™t happen until after the Batley and Spen by-election.

Iā€™ll resign at the end of September/start of October if he hasnā€™t gone by then.

2 Likes

Some potentially good news for once.

8 Likes

Thread he references:

5 Likes